Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities and a competitive salary.
Our Business Administration Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a year long opportunity to build on your organisational and communication skills and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a Business Administration qualification. Following the initial application process successful applicants will be matched to one of the six service areas within the Council where your skills and interests fit best.
The Job - Working in Business Administration for the Council you will:
• Deliver a range of administrative functions such as diary management, photocopying, scanning, filing and responding to requests for information via email, letter and telephone calls
• Maintain and update records and support teams with data entry and numerical data
• Develop professional relationships with your own team and with others who we work alongside and provide services to
• Build on your existing communication skills, gain invaluable experience and build your self-confidence through your day-to-day workplace activities
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
• Complete an NVQ Level 2 qualification in Business Administration funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement)
• Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships, tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Business Administration Pathway is ideal for people with excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to multi-task and the motivation to contribute ideas and support their team.
To apply for this pathway, you must:
• Be a 16+ Islington resident, Islington care leaver or former Islington secondary school student. We encourage applications aged 16-24 however applicants of all ages will be considered.
• Be unemployed/economically inactive (working no more than 14 hours a week).
• Not currently be qualified in Business Administration at level 2 or above
Closing Date: Sunday 25 June 2017 at 23:59
Assessment Day: Week commencing Monday 3 July 2017
Apprenticeship Start Date: Sept 2017
For an informal discussion about apprenticeships at Islington council please contact, Amadea Afful on 020 7527 2640 or email
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email