Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities and a competitive salary. Our Data Analyst Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a two year opportunity to build on your problem solving and analytical skills whilst working towards a Data Analyst Level 4 qualification. This apprenticeship pathway would suit those who have an interest in computer science or maths. Following the initial application process successful applicants will be matched to a team within Islington Council’s Children’s Services or Public Health service areas.
Data analysts work on information management. They collect and cleanse data and can conduct a range of analytical studies on that data. They report the results of data analysis activities which helps the teams they work in make changes to improve the services that Islington residents use.
The Job - Working as a Data Analyst Apprentice for the Council you will:
• Work with experienced officers to collate, analyse, manage, interpret and present data
• Learn about Information management using a variety of tools e.g. excel, access and SQL
• Manipulate and link different data sets
• Collect and compile data from a wide range of sources
• Assist with data quality checking and cleansing
• Perform database queries to extract data for analysis
• Use a range of analytical techniques such as data mining, time series forecasting and modelling techniques to identify and predict trends and patterns in data
• Assist with the production of data used in reports and presentation e.g. bar graphs, pie charts
• Develop professional relationships with your own team and with others who we work alongside and provide services to
• Build on your existing communication skills, gain invaluable experience and build your self-confidence through your day-to-day workplace activities.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
• Complete a Level 4 Data Science Associate qualification funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement)
• Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships, tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Data Analyst Pathway is ideal for people with excellent attention to detail, analytical skills and a willingness to learn.
To apply for this pathway, you must:
• Be a 16+ Islington resident, Islington care leaver or former Islington secondary school student. We encourage applications aged 16-24 however applicants of all ages will be considered.
• Hold 5 GCSE’s or an equivalent qualification at grade C or above, including Maths and English
• Hold 2 A Levels or an equivalent level 3 qualification.
• Not currently be qualified in Data Science at level 4 or above
Closing Date: Sunday 25 June 2017 at 23:59
Assessment Day: Week commencing Monday 3 July 2017
Start Date: August/September 2017
For an informal discussion about apprenticeships at Islington council please contact, Amadea Afful on 020 7527 2640 or email
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email