Fancy a complete change?
Need to find some meaning in life?
Would you like to dedicate six months of your life to a young, successful and happy organisation, working among some of the world’s poorest people in Malawi, Africa?
Most of our volunteers find the work a life-changing, joyful and unique experience.
The Krizevac Project began 10 years ago by simply placing a large cross on a mountain near Chilomoni, Blantyre, Malawi. Now the township around the base of the mountain is being transformed through the creation of a number of enterprises which include everything from brick making to computer and plant rental. We’ve also rebuilt the primary school, built a brand new IT training academy and now we are building a vital and exciting children’s centre.
In April 2011 we will be opening the JPII Leadership and IT Training Academy, a state of the art facility providing opportunities for hundreds of Malawians, from school leavers to employed technicians the opportunity to improve their skills and access Africa burgeoning IT sector. This is a facility that will help to create future leaders through a holistic curriculum that focuses as much on personal development as academic achievement. There are 15 classrooms each set-up to facilitate 25 students at a time, as well as a huge learning resource centre and various other support facilities.
We are now seeking a joyful volunteer to oversee the complex ICT network within the academy. This is a huge challenge; despite the fact that the centre will have it’s own satellite internet connection, back-up generators and UPSs installed by UK experts working with local contractors, you may still be frustrated and confounded by operating a consistent network in an under-developed African country. You’ll need to be highly motivated, organised and have at least 5 years experience of operating systems and managing networks in a school, college or similar environment. We are not just asking for an expert technician, but someone who has the ability to inspire and train as you will be teaching your Malawian counter-part to undertake this role in the future. You will need to be a creative and pro-active problem solver as well as a brilliant communicator with the patience of Job. You will report directly to the Principal and will be an active part of the senior management team.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
Undertake full network manager duties whilst providing training and support to your team in all areas including but not limited to:-
- Secure operation of the ICT network maintaining accessibility and convenience for users within the constraints of appropriate security
- Efficient deployment of computer hardware around the academy
- Minimising down time and inconvenience to the training academy
- Working to achieve best value for money in terms of purchasing and maintaining systems whilst ensuring that the academy systems are ‘future proof’.
- Maintaining an inventory of software and hardware
- Devising systems to ensure that the integrity of the network is maintained and ensuring that faults and damage are repaired, logged and reported.
- Liaising with staff to support curriculum development with appropriate software and hardware
- Installing, configuring and testing new software and providing training for staff
Application closing date: February 14th 2011
Post start date: as soon as practically possible
Krizevac Project, UK registered Charity 1115608