Employer: Reading Borough Council | Schools
- Reference: CPS2016-05
- Published on: Fri 06/01/2017 08:00 AM
- Closing on: Fri 13/01/2017 23:59 PM
- Working Pattern: Part Time, Term Time, Permanent
- Hours: 12 hours per week (8:00 – 12:00 Monday, Wednesday, Friday) Term-time only (with INSET Days) plus three weeks
- Salary: Grade RG3 15–18 (starting at £8.69 per hour)
- DBS Check: Enhanced
- Location: RG1 2LU
Coley Primary School is looking for a skilled, flexible, enthusiastic, conscientious and self-motivated person to help us keep our fantastic Victorian school in good order both inside and out.
As Caretaker you will be responsible for providing caretaking and minor maintenance within the school and provide a key role to ensure a welcoming and safe environment for the whole school community.
We are looking for someone who can work 12 hours per week during term-time, with an additional 12 hours per week during holidays. During three weeks of the school holidays you will be expected to use your time flexibly to supervise any works happening in the school not suitable to be carried out during term-time and make regular checks on site safety.
You will have good home/school improvement skills, gardening knowledge and be able to keep the site tidy and safe for users. Previous site maintenance is desirable and candidates should be computer literate for emails and computer record keeping.
Duties will include:
• Be responsible for the cleaning of designated areas (e.g. litter bins, gutters, leaves, car parks, playgrounds.) • Ensure debris, leaves, snow and ice are cleared to avoid potential hazards and ensure safe access to all areas of the school.
• Be responsible for keeping our gardens and vegetable patches maintained between visits from contractors.
• Carry out security checks on the building. • Act as a key holder.
• Supervise the movements of vehicles in the school grounds, assist with the unloading of delivery vehicles and distribution of goods within the school. • Move furniture and equipment. • Assist in ordering, distributing, storing and keeping secure school supplies.
Health & Safety:
• Carry out and record basic checks and help maintain health and safety records. •Complete regular health and safety walks with the School Business Manager. • Check the operation of the fire system on a regular basis. • Monitor the observance of health and safety policies and procedures and assist with risk assessment.
Maintenance & Repair:
• Be responsible for noting and reporting repairs. • Undertake minor maintenance and decorating tasks (e.g. changing light bulbs and strips, fuses, plugs, unblocking drains, repainting walls, minor joinery etc.) • Liaise with the maintenance contractors, monitor their activities and report any concerns to the Business Manager.
Visits to the school are welcomed and encouraged. Make an appointment to come and see us today. Please contact the school office on 0118 937 5461 or send an email to To download an application pack please visit our school website at www.coleyprimary.reading.sch.uk/job-opportunities
Please do not send a CV as, for the purposes of Equal Opportunities, we can only accept Reading Borough Council application forms.
Closing date: 13 January 2017
Shortlisting date: w/c 16 January 2017
Interview date: 20 January 2017
This School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An Enhanced DBS check will be sought from all successful candidates.