Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities and a competitive salary.
Our Payroll Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a two year opportunity to build on your organisational and communication skills whilst working towards an accounting qualification. You will need an aptitude for working with numbers and systems, and the ability to interpret information. Following the initial application process the successful applicant will join the Resources Department Payroll Team.
The Job - Working in Payroll for the Council you will:
• Process employee salary payments, check how many hours employees have worked and calculate their pay
• Learn about tax and national insurance deductions
• Learn how to use a number of systems to support the team in delivering payroll service.
• Gather, sort, analyse, and report financial information
• Respond to employee requests for information in person, on the phone and in writing
• Develop professional relationships with your own team and with others who we work alongside and provide services to
• Build on your existing communication skills, gain invaluable experience and build your self-confidence through your day-to-day workplace activities
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
• Complete a Level 3 qualification in Accounting funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement)
• Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as discounted gym memberships, tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Payroll Pathway is ideal for people with excellent attention to detail, time management skills and confidence with numbers.
To apply for this pathway, you must:
• Be a 16+ Islington resident, Islington care leaver or former Islington secondary school student. We encourage applications from 16-24 olds, however applicants of all ages will be considered.
• Be currently unemployed/economically inactive (working no more than 14 hours a week).
• Be eligible to work in the UK
• Not currently be qualified in Accounting at level 3 or above
Closing Date: Sunday 4 June 2017 at 23:59
Interviews: Week Commencing Monday 12 June 2017
For an informal discussion about apprenticeships at Islington council please contact, Amadea Afful on 020 7527 2640 or email
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email