Employer: South Oxfordshire District Council / Vale of White Horse District Council
- Reference: 00312488
- Published on: Thu 16/02/2017 10:22 AM
- Closing on: Thu 16/03/2017 10:22 AM
- Working Pattern: Full Time, Contract
- Hours: 37
- Salary: £32799 - £37386 per annum
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Abingdon
South Oxfordshire and Vale of the White Horse District Councils are forward thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. This joint authority team are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who is able to communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme.
Position: Planning Officer Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Job Type: Full Time, Fixed term Contract (maternity cover)
Hours: 37 hours per week Salary: £32799 - £37386 per annum
Benefits: A basic 23 days annual leave per annum, rising to 28 days after five years. Plus bank holidays and time off between Christmas and New Year. Flexible working and annualised hours, pension scheme, childcare voucher scheme, car lease scheme, free parking
Interview date: 23rd or 24th March
About the role:
If you are looking to take a step up and progress your career as a planning officer this is an excellent opportunity to expand your experience in a busy and forward looking planning service. You will gain varied experience in dealing with proposals in markets towns, villages and most attractive countryside, which are subject to significant development pressure. Here is a great opportunity to play a key role in shaping the future of the area.
The planning officer will be responsible for the effective processing of planning applications in accordance with best practice, local and government targets and the provision of professional advice on a wide range of planning matters ensuring a development team approach to the customer.
- Providing professional advice face to face, on the telephone and in writing on behalf of the Council in respect of planning and related issues, including providing pre application advice - Attending Councillor site visits and evening meetings of the relevant Council Committees as required - Dealing with enforcement matters and carrying out associated duties as and when required - Preparing and presenting evidence for the Council in respect of appeals against planning decisions, particularly in respect of written representations appeals and hearings but also contributing to public inquiry work, as and when required - Undertaking specific projects within the Planning Service (such as participating in Continuous Development)
- A degree in a related discipline, or relevant qualification or equivalent level of experience - Demonstrable experience of working in a local authority planning service or equivalent experience in a private sector role - Hold a full and current driving licence and access to a vehicle insured for business use - Strong IT skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet and email - Experience of report and professional letter writing - Demonstrate a diplomatic approach in difficult situations and be able to give clear, accurate advice on procedure - Good oral and written communication skills - Ability to interpret scale drawings and Ordnance Survey maps - Investigative, methodical and accurate approach to work - Ability to take individual responsibility for caseload, to set own daily targets and work to agreed standards and performance targets
If you have the following experience or qualifications – it’s a bonus:
- Membership of a professional institute such as the Royal Town Planning Institute - Experience of working in a customer focussed environment and dealing with difficult customers
You may have experience of the following: Planning Officer, Local Authority, Policy, Town Planning, Council, Planner, Project Management, Planning Policy Officer, Town Planner, Legislation, RTPI, Neighbourhood Development, etc.
This vacancy is being advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment, the UK’s leading Online Recruitment Agency. The services advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment are those of an employment agency. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, or belief, and we confirm that we will gladly accept all applications.