Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities and a competitive salary. Our Procurement Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a two year opportunity to build on your organisational and analytical skills and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a Business Administration qualification and supporting courses within the Council’s Strategic Procurement team.
Procurement is the process of buying goods, works and services. Within the Council this could mean buying a new building, buying new lights and lifts for an estate in Islington or arranging for a supplier to provide housing support services residents with Mental Health support needs. It includes how we set up, manage and maintain suppliers to be paid.
Procurement apprentices develop business administration skills, as well as exposure to all aspects of supply chain including commissioning (deciding what to procure), supplier approvals/payments, contract and supplier relationship management.
The Job - Working in Strategic Procurement for the Council you will:
• Work as part of a team to help ensure value for money in how public money is spent
• Learn how we ensure the goods, works or service are being delivered to an acceptable standard
• Understand the procedures and business processes the Council must follow source and secure the best deals for the goods, works and services we procure
• Manage and maintain supplier records to ensure that we always pay the correct supplier
• Develop awareness of awareness of both national and EU contractual and procurement law
• Take account of diverse customer needs and requirements
• Deliver a range of administrative functions such as diary management, photocopying, scanning and filing, creating spreadsheets and responding to requests for information via email, letter and telephone calls
• Develop professional relationships with your own team and with others who we work alongside and provide services to
• Build on your existing communication skills, gain invaluable experience and build your self-confidence through your day-to-day workplace activities.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
• Complete a Level 3 qualification in Business Administration funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement)
• Complete short course(s) at Level 4 in areas that relate to the role, fully funded by the Council during the period of the apprenticeship
• Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships, tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Procurement Pathway is ideal for people with excellent attention to detail, time management skills and a willingness to learn.
To apply for this pathway, you must:
• Be a 16+ Islington resident, Islington care leaver or former Islington secondary school student. We encourage applications aged 16-24 however applicants of all ages will be considered.
• Are currently unemployed/economically inactive (working no more than 14 hours a week)
• Hold GCSE’s or an equivalent qualification at grade C or above including Maths and English
• Hold 2 A Levels or an equivalent level 3 qualification
• Not currently be qualified in Business Administration at level 3 or above
Closing Date: Sunday 9 July 2017 at 23:59
Assessment Day: Tuesday 18 July 2017
Start Date: September 2017
For an informal discussion about apprenticeships at Islington council please contact, Amadea Afful on 020 7527 2640 or email
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email