We’re planning an exciting future and as Senior Planning Officer (Environment) in our Strategic Planning and Sustainability team, you could take a lead role in shaping it.
We’re responsible for delivering the growth of the district and delivering the vision of a vibrant place to live, work and visit. We are in an enviable position with a recently adopted Horsham District Planning Framework (HDPF) which includes significant site allocations for development, and a deliverable 5 year housing land supply, which is consistently being supported at appeal. We are also developing the policy framework with a Site Allocations Document, CIL and beginning the review of the HDPF shortly.
We are now hiring, and thus we are looking for an individual with commitment, a high level of energy who can continue achieving excellent performance whilst providing a fresh look at the service to contribute to our continued improvement within the ever changing legislative framework.
As a Senior Planning Officer (Environment) you will work in the Strategic Planning Team to help prepare the Site Allocation and other Planning Policy documents and provide advice and guidance on strategic planning issues both within the Council and to members of the public. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Undertaking surveys, site appraisals and studies that to inform the production of Development Plan Documents and Supplementary Planning Documents
- Preparing necessary reports and policy documentation
- Providing policy advice to Development Management colleagues and applicants
- Represent the Council at appeals, hearings, public enquiries and Examinations on a range of policy matters, including housing land supply
- To prepare EIA screening opinions, undertake the evaluation of Environmental Impact Assessments and undertake Sustainability Appraisal Assessments of development plan documents.
- To assist the neighbourhood planning officer in providing advice and support to local communities preparing Neighbourhood Development Plans
To succeed as a Senior Planning Officer (Environment) you must have competence in a variety of IT systems and packages, plus the ability to work as part of a team as well as on your own initiative. You must also have:
- A relevant degree or equivalent and a recognised planning qualification
- Eligibility for RTPI Membership
- Good numerical skills and attention to detail
- Good time management and organisation skills.
- High level communication and presentation skills particularly concerning complex or controversial issues.
The work we offer is inspiring and innovative. The prospects we provide are exciting and far reaching. Our work/life balance is family friendly and salaries are as attractive as the local lifestyle. What’s more, our state of the art IT system makes work as easy in the home or in the field as at the office so there’s plenty of flexibility about where and when you operate.
For further information please contact Barbara Childs, Head of Strategic Planning and Sustainability on 01403 215181 or Catherine Howe, Principal Planning Officer on 01403 215505.
How To Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CV’s submitted without a fully completed online application form.