Sustainability Manager (Community Engagement)
Employer: Camden Council
- Reference: LBC1453
- Published on: Wed 25/05/2011 15:00 PM
- Closing on: Sun 12/06/2011 23:59 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time, Permanent
- Hours: 35
- Salary: £40,506 - £43,152
- DBS Check: No
- Location: WC1H 8NP
Contract: Permanent, Full time, 35 hours
Salary: £40,506- £43,152 (PO5)
Location: Town Hall Extension, Argyle Street, London WC1H 8NP
Team: Corporate Sustainability Team
Benefits: Local government pension, season loan ticket, staff discount on selected restaurants and local shops.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Sustainability/ Environment or Community Engagement professional to join Camden Council’s high performing Corporate Sustainability Team. We have recently gone through a process of change to redefine service delivery to focus on the issues where the council and our partners can have the biggest impact, with the overall aim of helping Camden become a Low Carbon and Low Waste borough.
We are looking for an innovative individual to help drive forward our new 10 year borough-wide strategy – Green Action for Change, with a key focus on Community Engagement.
You will be responsible for leading on green community engagement projects and act as the Council’s expert advisor on green community engagement matters. Whilst successfully managing a small team, you will ensure the council uses effective, evidence-based approaches and initiatives to drive green behavioural change across the whole community in Camden. You will work across a number of different teams and in partnership with senior managers, external agencies and community groups to increase green actions taken by residents.
This is an exciting opportunity to transform and drive forward the Corporate Sustainability Service into the next phase. Working for one of UK’s leading Local Authorities, we can offer an exciting, stimulating and rewarding working environment, a highly supportive team, support for continuous professional development and an opportunity to make a real difference to our residents and the future of our service.
We are looking for a highly committed individual with experience of successfully delivering environmental sustainability-related community engagement projects and with the ability to manage a small team. Working in a similar capacity or perhaps the next step in your career, you will have a strong understanding of relevant policies, practices and behavioural change processes, along with effective communication and project delivery skills.
In order to make a successful application, you will also need to address the following requirements:
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of environmental sustainability legislation, policy and best practice
- Develops and implements evidenced-based strategies, policies and projects to effective positive change.
- Able to provide in-depth policy analysis and advice
- Maintains and builds effective relations with a wide range of people, including community groups, local business, external agencies, senior managers, council members and internal colleagues
- Confident in leading public meetings
- Works autonomously and adapts flexibly to new priorities
- Exercises analysis and judgement to shape and drive improvements
- Ability to lead a team, including staff recruitment, coaching, development, motivation and performance management.
Corporate sustainability projects include the Council’s own Carbon Management Programme, initiatives to reduce borough-wide carbon emissions such as combined heat and power and building retrofit projects and the Camden Climate Change Alliance, whose member organisations aim jointly to reduce their carbon emissions by at least 10% by 2012.
Camden Council values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We therefore encourage applications from all sections of the community. Camden is committed to the protection and safety of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
How to apply:
If you feel you have the qualities outlined in this advert and would like to shape the future of our Corporate Sustainability projects, then we would like to hear from you!
Please quote job ref: LBC1453
Closing date: Sunday 12th June 2011, 11:59pm
Interviews to be held: Thursday 23rd and Friday 24th June 2011