Building Control Surveyor
Employer: South Oxfordshire District Council / Vale of White Horse District Council
- Reference: 00316567
- Published on: Mon 18/09/2017 09:37 AM
- Closing on: Mon 16/10/2017 09:37 AM
- Working Pattern: Full Time, Permanent
- Salary: £37386 - £41649 per annum
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Didcot
Building Control Surveyor
South Oxfordshire District Council and Vale of White Horse District Council are forward thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who is able to communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme. They have modern open plan offices and smart working practices.
Position: Building Control Surveyor
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: £37,386 - £41,649 per annum
Benefits: A basic 23 days annual leave per annum, rising to 28 days after five years. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year. A flexible approach to work that their employees love! pension scheme; childcare voucher scheme; car lease scheme; ample free parking.
About the role:
This role will administer building regulations, the Building Act and other associated legislation and will assist the team leader with service plan implementation, meeting service standards and performance targets.
- Validate, examine and determine applications submitted under building regulations and associated legislation
- Carry out site inspections to ensure compliance with building regulations and other relevant legislation
- Record detailed and accurate records within the services’ computerised systems
- Provide professional advice to applicants, agents, members and all stakeholders on all matters related to building control
- Line manage and mentor officers from grades three to five
- Participate in the organising and operation of the building control team including deputising for the team leader, involving attendance at meetings, monitoring workloads and allocating resources etc
- Instigate enforcement procedures, preparing reports and statements to the council’s solicitor and appearing in court as a prosecution witness as required
- Carry out inspections of dangerous structures, taking appropriate action
- Promote and encourage use of the Local Authority Building Control Service, including associated products and business partners
- Deputise for the building control team leader
- Occasional need to deal with potentially dangerous structure situations in inclement weather conditions and at anti-social times
- Full membership or working towards full membership of RICS, ABE or equivalent
- Construction related degree of HND / HNC
- Hold a current valid driving licence.
- Significant demonstrable building control experience
- Sound knowledge and understanding of building control, legislation and construction
- IT experience in Windows, including office, excel, plus email and internet
- Working knowledge and understanding of health and safety issues and good practice
If you have the following experience or qualifications – it’s a bonus:
- Experience of working in local government building control
- Experience of successfully managing direct reports
- Able to work at height or in confined spaces
- Able to work out of normal working hours to meet specific deadlines
You may have experience of the following: Building Control Surveyor, Project Manager, RICS, Building Surveyor, Policy, Builder, Assessor, Verifier, Construction Manager, Building Control, Surveying, Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, CABE, Association of Building Engineers etc.
This vacancy is being advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment, the UK’s leading Online Recruitment Agency. The services advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment are those of an employment agency. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, or belief, and we confirm that we will gladly accept all applications.