Chief Legal Officer
Employer: NE Lincolnshire Council
- Reference: L130
- Published on: Tue 29/08/2017 10:45 AM
- Closing on: Fri 29/09/2017 12:00 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time, Permanent
- Hours: 37 hours per week.
- Salary: £63,405
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Hull, Grimsby and Lincolnshire
Are you looking for a diverse and interesting role in a Council where change, partnership working and innovative solutions are the order of the day?
North East Lincolnshire is uniquely placed to progress a range of exciting opportunities which will regenerate the borough, grow out economy and bring jobs, housing and prosperity to our borough.
We are looking for a qualified solicitor with the confidence and experience to be the Council’s Monitoring officer, member of the Leadership team and head of Legal service team.
You will be acting as the Council’s principal legal adviser and will discharge the statutory duties of the Monitoring Officer, ensuring that the Council fulfils its lawful obligations, statutory duties, and performs its functions and activities in accordance with the law and the principles of good governance.
You will also provide strategic direction and corporate leadership, acting as the guardian of corporate legal propriety and take a proactive role in ensuring the Council’s vision, values, priorities and strategic objectives are actively promoted and realised. You will have overall responsibility for Legal Services and Coroners.
The ideal candidate will...
- Have a Law Society Practising Certificate or Bar Standards Board Practising Certificate
- Have a degree or formal management qualification
- Provide evidence of continuing professional development
- Be able to demonstrate senior leadership success within a local authority or other complex organisation
- Show a sound understanding of corporate decision making, constitutional matters and the legal environment of local government
- Have a proven track record of providing proactive, expert, timely and authoritative legal advice and support to senior leaders and other stakeholders
- Be able to demonstrable experience of commercial contracts
- Have a proven track record of developing and embedding best practice, innovation and continuous improvement in the delivery of legal services, including experience of shaping different models of service provision and delivery
- Be a highly effective communicator, influencer and negotiator
- Be outcome driven, with a strong commitment to the promotion of best practice and the development of a continuous improvement culture
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Helen Isaacs, Director of Governance, Democracy and Community Engagement on 01472 326127.