Employer: Thames Valley School
- Reference: TVS/17/39105
- Published on: Mon 17/07/2017 12:33 PM
- Closing on: Fri 29/09/2017 12:32 PM
- Working Pattern: Term Time, Permanent
- Hours: 35 hours per week.
- Salary: £25,880 - £36,540 +SEN Allowance
- DBS Check: Enhanced
- Location: Reading
We are seeking to appoint a confident and outstanding classroom practitioner with a real passion for teaching English to a high standard to pupils on the autistic spectrum. You will be an enthusiastic, highly motivated individual who leads by example, demonstrating good communication and interpersonal skills with excellent classroom management skills.
The successful candidate will be able to engage students of all levels and ability’ inspiring students to fulfil their potential and prepare them for their next steps.
You should have strong empathy with a desire to meet the needs of all students. An understanding and awareness of Autism is also desirable; as is a willingness to learn.
For the right individual this will be a unique and rewarding position to lead English across the school, an opportunity to work with other NAS Schools to develop English for autistic students and a chance to work with other local specialist schools to develop best practice.
Who we are
We are the leading UK charity for around 700,000 people on the autism spectrum and their families. We provide information, support and pioneering services, and campaign for a better world for people with autism. We are proud of the difference we make.
Teachers with a passion to work in an organisation that specialises in autism, supporting autistic adults or children on the autism spectrum live the life they choose. You will have the ability to lead a team of experienced support staff whilst playing a full part in the life of the school community.
The school is an extremely successful provision that offers outstanding care and education including day, weekly, termly and a flexi boarding service for pupils with Autism. Based in Reading, we currently have 50 pupils aged between 5-16 years old.
We are seeking an enthusiastic English Teacher with:
- QTS (NQT Applications welcomed)
- Teaching Experience (SEN/ASD) and/or a strong desire to work in the field of autism
- Proven knowledge of KS3 and KS4 English curricular and the impact on pupils with autism
- Ability to lead and drive forward the English curriculum across the school
- Passion for working with pupils with challenging behaviour
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with an ability to lead by example
- Be excited by and enthusiastic about curriculum innovations and teaching and learning approaches
Where will you be working
Thames Valley School
What we can offer you
- Excellent induction, training and development programme including Autism specific interventions and NAS conference opportunities
- Reflective supervision, mentoring and coaching
- 24 hour access to high quality online training
- Online staff discount scheme for a range of benefits (e.g. childcare voucher and cycle to work schemes)
- Access to a 24 hour Employee Assistance counselling programme
- Pension scheme
- Career progression opportunities in a growing schoolHow to apply
- Please visit https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/nas/Jobtrain6/jobs/jobdetails/jobdetails.aspx?jobid=1353
- When providing a supporting statement, please refer to the job description and person specification and include any information that shows your suitability for the role.
- For more information about this job please contact Rachel Barnard, 0118 9424750Closing date: 29/09/17 Interviews: w/c 02/10/17
- The NAS is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all children and adults who use our services and as such expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We are an equal opportunities employer.
- Applications for this job are sought from anyone who is suitably qualified and experienced for the role but particularly welcome from those with a diagnosis of autism or Asperger syndrome.