Lawyer – Education/SEN
Employer: London Borough of Bexley
- Reference: cex0000033
- Published on: Tue 12/09/2017 15:43 PM
- Closing on: Sun 24/09/2017 23:55 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time, Permanent
- Hours: 36 hours per week.
- Salary: £38,043- £44,757 per annum
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Bexleyheath
Lawyer – Education/SEN
Management Grouping: Chief Executive
Department: Legal Services
Location: Bexleyheath, Kent
Salary: £38,043- £44,757 per annum
Contract: Permanent / 36 hours per week
Closing Date: 24th September 2017
The Legal Services Department is looking to recruit a qualified Education / Special Educational Needs lawyer to advise upon and prepare cases in relation to Special Educational Needs cases and appear on behalf of the Council before the SEND Tribunal. In addition, the post holder will advise on Education law generally, including the preparation of proceedings in relation to Schools and Academies, parents and pupils. This may include, but is not limited to advice about parental bans, exclusions, discrimination and education law related matters.
You will have conduct of your own caseload. It is essential that you possess good communication skills and have the ability to work effectively as part of a busy and committed team. It is also essential that you are a keen and confident advocate and that you have a good knowledge of the law as it applies to Education and Special Educational Needs.
You will be a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or Legal Executive who is entitled to practice prior to taking up the appointment. Previous local government experience is desirable but not essential. You must be able to handle a substantial caseload, often working to strict deadlines and on short notice. An ability and aptitude for advocacy is essential. You will have demonstrable advocacy and excellent written and oral communication skills. The role requires you to have a strong customer focus. You will be expected to provide updates, training and advice to clients.
The role will involve advising in respect of other of the Council's functions, as and when required. Other training will be provided as necessary.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Guy Atkins, Legal Team Manager (Litigation) on 020 3045 3924.
What we offer
- Relocation Package up to £8,000
- Career Average Revalued Earnings Pension Scheme
- Performance Related Pay
- 25 days Annual Leave (rising to 28 after 5 years’ service) plus Bank Holiday Entitlement
- Annual Leave Purchase Scheme
- An excellent working environment at our fantastic new offices
- Opportunities for flexible working with excellent ICT facilities
- MyChoice Staff Benefit Scheme – Includes Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work Scheme, access to high street shopping vouchers and online discount codes.
Bexley is an outer London Borough with the best of both worlds, located between the hustle and bustle of London and the Garden of England, Kent. Within the borough we have award winning parks, open spaces and listed heritage sites.
- Closing Date for your application: 24/09/2017
- CVs will not be accepted unless they are submitted with a completed application form.
- Anticipated Interview date: week commencing 02/10/2017
This authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment
Bexley Council is committed to a policy of equality and diversity for all staff regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability or any other factor. Our Diversity Policy demonstrates a commitment to all job applicants. Our aims are to:
• promote equality of opportunity
• eliminate unlawful discrimination, and
• promote good relations between people from different backgrounds
We are committed to ensuring that employees who have a disability are given every possible assistance in the workplace, and have achieved the ‘Positive about Disabled People’ award, which gives all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria in the person specification the opportunity to be interviewed.