Planning Support Assistant
Employer: Horsham District Council
- Reference: HDC/17/39028
- Published on: Fri 14/07/2017 14:16 PM
- Closing on: Mon 24/07/2017 12:00 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time, Temporary
- Hours: 37 hours per week.
- Salary: £19,430 - £24174 pa
- DBS Check: No
- Location: West Sussex
We’re planning an exciting future and as a Planning Support Assistant in our Business Support Team, you could help to shape it.
Our Planning Department is is responsible for the processing of all planning applications and appeals within the district, and we process the majority of the applications within the South Downs National Park on behalf of the National Park Authority.
You will provide support to colleagues and take lead responsibility for planning appeals, ensuring that administration work is prioritised and carried out within specified timescales and that statutory deadlines are met. You will also provide support to the Validation officer in the processing and validation of planning applications.
You will support the Development Management team in responding to external and internal requests for information and as the initial point of contact for external and internal enquiries; you will be committed to high standards of customer service with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
You must be proficient and adaptable in the use of Information Systems, as you will monitor and manage the performance of appeals and will respond to requests for information electronically. A flexible approach to teamwork and an ability to work under pressure will be fundamental in providing effective support. Your key responsibilities will include:
- To manage and process appeals including the maintenance and collation of necessary documentation to fulfil statutory requirements including attendance at hearings and Public Inquiries.
- To maintain comprehensive monitoring and performance indicator information for appeals and/or deal with the processing of some planning applications
- To assist in the validation of planning applications as required to support the validation officer
- To prepare issue and collate appeal statements, appeal notification/consultation letters, appeal questionnaires, proofs of evidence and statements of common ground.
- To coordinate the receipt of internal and external consultee evidence, proofs and statements in respect of planning appeals and issue to the Planning Inspectorate and other interested parties.
- To ensure that all appeal documentation and decisions are displayed (and kept up to date) on the relevant electronic / on-line planning application and on the Council’s web site.
To succeed as Planning Support Assistant you must have competence in a variety of IT systems and packages, plus the ability to communicate with people of different social, economic and professional backgrounds. You must also have:
- Knowledge and understanding of development management processes
- Be educated to A Level or equivalent
- Good time management and organisation skills.
The work we offer is inspiring and innovative. The prospects we provide are exciting and far reaching. Our work/life balance is family friendly and salaries are as attractive as the local lifestyle.