Senior Planner (Development Management)
Employer: Rochford District Council
- Reference: RDS/17/42428
- Published on: Wed 06/09/2017 13:30 PM
- Closing on: Sun 29/10/2017 17:00 PM
- Working Pattern: Flexible Hours, Full Time, Permanent
- Hours: 37 hours. Occasional out of hours working required.
- Salary: £33,437 - £36,379 per annum
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Rochford, Essex
Thank you for your interest in these posts within the Development Management team. We are currently recruiting 3 new key Senior Planner roles; 2 in Development Management and 1 in Strategic Planning and Policy within our wider Planning Team within the Planning and Regeneration Service. Please see our separate advert for Planning Policy if this post interests you.
Rochford District Council delivers a wide range of high quality services and is committed to ensuring that our residents remain at the heart of all we do as we move forward to start to deliver a range of initiatives set out in our Business Plan. Elected Members and staff have worked hard to approach this challenge innovatively and going forward we need to continue to innovate as a Council and to work collaboratively with our partners.
Rochford is a District in south east Essex, a beautiful, scenic area bounded by the River Crouch to the north. We see the District as a place that has many strengths; an environment characterised by substantial areas of attractive countryside, a rich heritage, strong and vibrant communities with a local economy that is growing in stature assisted by the development of London Southend Airport and a large high quality and advanced technology business park.
This is a particularly challenging and rewarding time for Rochford Staff and this opportunity would suit a candidate who has worked in a senior role within a planning department either in the public or private sector.
More information about the Senior Planner roles is contained in this advert and the accompanying advert for Planning Policy, along with application details and information about the Council and the benefits you will enjoy if you come to work with us.
Senior Planner - Development Management job with Rochford District Council | 328763
We are keen to make appointments to our vacant posts as soon as possible, therefore, if successful applicants are secured before the closing date, this advertisement will close early.
I wish you well in your application.
Assistant Director – Planning and Regeneration
Senior Planners (Development Management) x 2
Salary - Paying £33,437 to £36,379 per annum
• be a key senior member of an effective and efficient team of professional planners providing a full Development Management and Planning Enforcement Service in the customer focused manner, and contribute positively to the achievement of national and local performance indicators and targets
• take the lead on the provision of pre-application advice to developers on a range of applications including major and complex proposals to ensure that submitted schemes accord with national and Council policies prior to submission
• undertake the validation of planning applications, including the consideration of the suitability of documents and plans submitted, fee payments and reviewing consultees and neighbours to be notified.
• work independently and make decisions under own initiative, carrying out professional and efficient processing of major as well as complex planning applications and self management of casework, including detailed examination, analysis and assessment of the implications of specific proposals, ensuring necessary statutory consultations with agencies and third parties are undertaken
• deputise for a team leader, as required and to assist, guide, support and mentor more junior members of the team and oversee the output of the work of junior members as well as assist in some aspects of their management and training
• deal with planning appeals by preparing cases, including written statements, attending informal hearings for Planning Appeals as well and giving evidence at public inquiries and hearings.
Candidates will need a relevant degree together with extensive experience of development management service delivery and ideally hold a postgraduate Planning qualification and professional membership or the Royal Town Planning Institute or be eligible or working towards membership.
For an informal discussion please call Mike Stranks or Claire Buckley, Development Management Team Leaders on 01702 318032 or 01702 318127.
About Our Benefits
These roles attract a number of benefits including, but not limited to:
• Competitive salary - paying £33,437 to £36,379 per annum
• Payment of Professional Fees
• Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme
• Provision of childcare vouchers
• Staff discounts on a range of products and services via Vine Extras
Health and Well Being
• 25 days annual leave rising to 30 with 5 years continuous local government service (with evidence on appointment)
• 2 day flexi leave per month where accrued
• Generous sick pay scheme
• Homeworking and remote working
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Simply Health Cash Plan Scheme (Employee Contribution)
• Active Colleagues Scheme
• Discounted membership at local leisure centre
• Investment in your personal and professional development
• Internal and external training opportunities
About Rochford District
Rochford District has its own charm and is richly steeped in history and enchantment with a proud past and a bright future.
Within its 65 square miles you will find plenty of character, miles of unspoilt coastline and attractive countryside. It includes the historic Hockley Woods (the remains of a royal forest), and part of the ancient landscape of the Upper Roach Valley plus the island of Foulness, internationally famous as a haven for wildlife.
It boasts a large number of listed buildings, including Rochford Hall, one time home of the Boleyn family and The Old House in South Street, Rochford, built in 1270 and allegedly haunted! The town of Rayleigh, mentioned in the Domesday Book, contains the site of a Norman castle, and Rayleigh Windmill, built in 1798.
The Council’s offices in the centre of Rochford lie 5 minutes from the main line station to Southend and London (which is less than an hour away). The District’s 84,000 residents can enjoy its 3 golf courses, sports centres and miles of open countryside, footpaths, sea wall and woodlands all offering a great range of recreation activities. Cherry Orchard Jubilee Country Park provides a leisure facility of natural woodland walks, lakes and bridleways, as well as creating a valuable ecological resource. Sailing enthusiasts can find much scope on the Roach and Crouch rivers and at Wallasea Island an exciting new conservation development has begun. The Wallasea wetland is a bold new RSPB project to create salt marsh habitat on former arable land providing a haven for wild fowl and marine life.
The main Southend Victoria to Liverpool Street railway with brand new trains due in 2019, passes through the district with stations in Rochford, Hockley and Rayleigh. The train also stops at London Southend Airport, which despite its name is located in the district. The airport has internal flights and international routes across much of Europe.