Senior Planning Officer (Policy)
Employer: Horsham District Council
- Reference: HDC/17/45787
- Published on: Tue 17/10/2017 10:16 AM
- Closing on: Mon 20/11/2017 12:00 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time, Permanent
- Hours: 37 hours per week.
- Salary: £35,444-£39,177 pa
- DBS Check: No
- Location: West Sussex
We're planning an exciting future here at Horsham District Council and as Senior Planning Officer (Policy) in our Strategic Planning Team you could take a lead role in shaping it.
Horsham district is a vibrant place to live, work and visit. It is home to a number of historic towns and villages, surrounded by beautiful countryside. An hour from London and with Gatwick airport on our doorstep we are also a great place to do business, within reach of destinations all over the world.
This makes Horsham an exciting and challenging place to plan for the future, with the need to maintain the rural and historic environment, whilst enabling businesses to grow and ensuring that all our residents have an affordable place to live. This provides the basis for a number of exciting projects including the Local Plan review.
An opportunity has arisen in the Strategic Planning Team to contribute to planning for both the urban and rural environments in the District. As a Senior Planning Officer you will help prepare Local Plan Review documentation and provide advice and guidance on strategic planning issues, both within the Council and to members of the public. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Undertaking surveys, site appraisals and evidence based studies to inform the identification of potential housing, employment and Gypsy and Traveller allocations
- Monitoring the delivery of our housing numbers and other local plan policies
- Preparing necessary policy documentation
- Providing policy advice to Development Management colleagues, Members and developers
- Representing the Council at appeals, hearings, public enquiries and Examinations on a range of policy matters, including housing land supply
- Working with adjoining authorities, parishes, developers and the wider community on a range of planning policy issues.
To succeed as a Senior Planning Officer you must have competence in a variety of IT systems and packages, plus the ability to work as part of a team as well as on your own initiative. You must also have:
- A relevant degree or equivalent and a recognised planning qualification
- Eligibility for RTPI Membership
- Good numerical skills and attention to detail
- Good time management and organisation skills.
- High level communication and presentation skills particularly concerning complex or controversial issues.
You will be working with a friendly, supportive and dedicated team from our modern office building in Horsham Town centre. We encourage and support professional development and offer a generous benefits package to support your work life balance. Our extensive benefits include:
- 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Option to buy additional annual leave
- Flexible working
- Payment of RTPI subscriptions
- Childcare vouchers
- Access to staff benefit platform (MyHorshamRewards) for large range of discounts
The work we offer is inspiring and innovative. Our work/life balance is family friendly and salaries are as attractive as the local lifestyle. What’s more, our IT system makes work as easy in the home or in the field as at the office so there’s plenty of flexibility about where and when you operate.
How To Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CV’s submitted without a fully completed online application form.