Strategy and Change Principal Officer (Housing and Development Lead)
Employer: Camden Council
- Reference: CS/17/40798
- Published on: Fri 11/08/2017 12:54 PM
- Closing on: Sun 03/09/2017 23:59 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time, Contract
- Hours: 36 hours per week.
- Salary: £43,737 - £50,736
- DBS Check: No
- Location: 5 Pancras Square, London N1C 4AG
Contract: Two years fixed-term, full time, 36 hours per week
Level 5, Zone 1 (£43, 737 - £50,736)
Location: 5 Pancras Square, London, N1C 4AG
Directorate: Corporate Services
This is a unique opportunity to really make a change for the safety of Camden’s residents.
You will take a strategic lead, providing policy and strategy support to two key areas:
- The Council’s Community Investment Programme (CIP)
- Developing a new approach to resident safety following the Grenfell Tower Fire.
CIP is Camden’s 15-year plan to invest in our schools, homes and community facilities. CIP represents over £1bn of self-funded investment, making Camden one of the leading Council-developers in the UK. Your role will be to help develop and implement a strategy to deliver new CIP projects and ensure that they link to emerging housing priorities from the development of the new Camden Plan. The Council is keen to develop projects that make use of innovative construction methods and deliver new forms of intermediate housing and housing for older residents.
An important element of the role will be in helping the Council to position CIP, and the role of the Council as a developer, with Government and other stakeholders in order to secure support for delivery. You will be working closely with the Council’s communications team. We are looking for a policy and strategy professional who can support the development of our long-term approach, thinking deeply about the challenges and barriers to delivery. You will work with senior officers and elected members to develop solution-focussed approaches that translate policy analysis into impactful activity.
You will support the development a new approach to resident safety as part of Camden’s response to the Grenfell Tower Fire, working closely with the new Director of Resident Safety. You will have a real chance to take forward the Council’s aspiration to be a national leader on all aspects of the safety of building construction and safety signoff, including challenging the existing status quo. This will involve helping to establish a gold standard assurance process for the council’s social landlord function and property portfolio. You will help to set up and facilitate a new Camden wide Fire Safety Advisory Panel led by tenants and leaseholders to put resident voices at the forefront of our new approach.
You will be part of the corporate centre as part of the Strategy and Change service. However, you will work closely with key Heads of Service and Directors in the Housing and Development divisions. You will be a strong oral and written communicator, with an analytical approach and strong work ethic. You will also be able to solve challenging problems using an evidence-based approach and innovation.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong understanding of, or ability and willingness to quickly grasp, current Government housing and development policy
- Strong communication and report writing skills
- Ability to analyse and understand a range of information and data
- Proven work ethic and initiative
- Ability to effectively use a wide evidence base to solve challenging problems
- Innovation and future thinking
- Project and risk management
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly for a number of different audiences
- Strong understanding of ways to develop approaches to influencing national and regional policy, and developing impactful approached to public affairs.
- Experience and/or understanding of local government
- Strategic and financial planning, development, implementation and monitoring
- Data, research, performance management and monitoring – ability to handle large datasets
- Support for inspection
- Experience of session facilitation
- Experience commensurate with the requirements of this post.
Camden’s main offices are located in modern, award-winning offices at King’s Cross. You can expect an exceptional range of benefits including discounted access to the onsite leisure facilities with swimming pool, recognition and reward for high performance with progression and pay increases, flexible and agile working hours and access to a leading pension scheme.
Camden is proud to be the country’s first Timewise council and as part of this accreditation, we work to help parents balance work with childcare. This fits in with our aim to be leaders in innovative, flexible and part-time working that allows for different patterns of care and for parents to share childcare responsibilities.
Click here to see the full details of our excellent benefits Make it work for you. Make it your Camden.
Discover and Diversity
To “discover” more about Camden and our commitment towards diversity, equality and safeguarding, please visit our recruitment website
How to apply
To apply for this job please follow the "Apply" link. In the ‘Why you?’ section of the application form you will be expected to explain how you meet the key requirements for this role listed in this advert. When explaining how you meet each of the requirements, please give examples that clearly demonstrate your skills, knowledge and experience. When writing your examples give a brief description of the situation or task but focus on the actions you took and the result of your actions.
Camden is committed to making our recruitment practices barrier-free and as inclusive as possible for everyone. This includes making adjustments or changes for people who have a disability or long-term health condition. If you would like us to do anything differently during the recruitment process, or provide any information in an alternative format, please contact us on 020 7974 6655, at , or post to 5 Pancras Square, London N1C 4AG.
Closing dates for applications: Sunday 3rd September 2017, 23:59
Interviews to be held: We aim to interview mid – late September. Shortlisted candidates will be notified of their interview slot on or before Friday 8th September.
Please quote reference: 17000017
Advice, Commercial Development, Community, Economic Development/Regeneration, Enforcement and Regulations, Health and Safety, Management, Planning, Policy, Professional, Project Management, Research/Analysis