Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first
About the job
The Senior Programme Manager will work closely with the Head of Capital Programme Works, Senior Managers and Programme Managers leading the design, procuring and managing all construction activities on multiple projects.
As an employee of the London Borough of Hillingdon you will play a key role in delivering our Capital Programme across corporate, educational, community and housing stock.
The key responsibilities are:
About the Capital Programme Works Service
- Planning and managing projects in the Capital Programme Works Service
- Delivering schemes that meet the Council's budget, design, quality and sustainability objectives.
- Taking briefs from the Capital Programme Manager to lead the programme and delivery of targets to meet the requirements of key stakeholders.
- Leading monthly on site project meetings with various contractors across all project locations
- Communicating with key stakeholders of schemes to ensure that they are fully briefed on contract and supplier arrangements
- Managing recruitment, development and performance of direct reports in line with the Council's HR policies.
- Demonstrating cost-consciousness and identifying any cost effective changes
- Identifying and suggesting any improvements to current ways of working
As London's second largest borough and home to Heathrow, the world's busiest international airport, we have a challenging, high profile and unique agenda; against which we are committed to improving the service we deliver to our local residents. With around 1600 corporate buildings and Council managed housing stock of over 13,000 properties, the key objectives for the Capital Programme Works Service are to: • Invest in schools to ensure that accommodation and facilities provide a good environment for learning for the increasing number of students.
• Deliver a range of housing, community and other buildings for residents, working closely at times with partners across the Borough.
• Maximise the commercial opportunities of the Council's property and land assets.About the person
We are looking for individuals with good experience of working within the field of construction. Crucially with the ability to effectively coordinate and monitor multiple programmes of work and communicate between project leads, stakeholders, teams and clients. It is essential that you have experience of working within either a construction or surveying related field and that you have a professional qualification in discipline covering surveying, building and construction; normally expected to be chartered MRICS, MCIOB or equivalent. The successful candidate would be expected to use their own vehicle and will receive mileage. You must have a full clean UK or equivalent driving licence. You will be an excellent communicator and be able to work well with people. Have the ability to take instructions and effectively follow them through to completion with emphasis on the expect quality and standards. You will also work within the service and other service areas liaising with colleagues for a 'one council approach'. You will also be organised, solutions focussed and comfortable taking responsibility for tasks and delivering results. You will be expected to manage your projects, team and consultants with a positive attitude. Oversee construction and logistics, plus ensuring the project is procured and delivered safely, efficiently and within development goals. An end-to-end experience, long term work on a variety projects. We are offering an excellent opportunity for the candidate with the required skill set to step up to a senior level, where you will work on a varied portfolio of projects and gain wider knowledge and experience within the Capital Programme Works Services.Additional informationWe offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
• local government average salary pension scheme
• payment of professional fees where these are required
• free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
• a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
• access to a wide range of training and courses
• generous holiday entitlement: 33 days a year (plus bank holidays). For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
• flexible working hours
• career breaks
• season ticket loan
• access to a Credit Union
• on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
• discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
• discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and BotwellGreen (Hayes)
• cycle purchase scheme
• car sharing scheme
• 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses