Payroll Apprenticeship Pathway
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
Our Payroll Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a two-year opportunity to build on your organisational and communication skills, and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a payroll qualification. Following the initial application process, successful applicant will join Islington Council’s Resources Department.
Payroll Service - This is achieved through excellent customer service and the delivery of key activities which are designed to meet the needs of our customers. Working as part of a friendly and well respected team, your role will be varied and rewarding.
The Job - Working as a Payroll Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Process employee salary payments, check how many hours employees have worked and calculate their pay
- Learn about tax and national insurance deductions
- Learn how to use a number of systems to support the team in delivering payroll service.
- Gather, sort, analyse, and report financial information
- Respond to employee requests for information in person, on the phone and in writing
- Build on your existing communication skills, gain invaluable experience and build your self-confidence through your day-to-day workplace activities
- Develop strong professional relationships with your own team and with others we work alongside and to whom we provide services.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete either a Level 3 Payroll qualification funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your time with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the on-going support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Payroll Pathway is ideal for those with excellent attention to detail, time management skills and confidence with numbers.
To apply for this apprenticeship, you must be:
- aged 16 or above and
- unemployed (or working no more than 16 hours)
- and an Islington resident or Islington care leaver or a student at an Islington secondary school student currently or within the last 12 months.
- Not currently hold a qualification in Payroll at Level 3 or above
Closing Date: Sunday 15th September 2019
Assessment Day (includes interviews): Tuesday 23th September 2019
For an informal discussion about this apprenticeship, please contact Geeta Degnarain on 020 7527 2160 or email Geeta.firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk