About Watford Borough Council
Watford is an urban borough in South West Hertfordshire; the borough has excellent transport links with mainline rail connections to London. Watford is the centre of a sub region serving around 500,000 people living within a 20 minute travelling time catchment. As part of the London commuter belt, Watford is strongly influenced by London which brings the benefits of a buoyant economy.
We are now looking for a Data Protection Officer to support GDPR and data compliance for our Council.
- Salary of £37,750 - £41,664 (inc fringe weighting, pro rata)
- Pension scheme with generous employer contribution
- Flexible working
- Career development opportunities
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted leisure centre membership
- Employee volunteering schemes
- Access to a branded shopping discounts platform and discounted activities and days out
- 28 days’ holiday (pro rata, in accordance with the part time hours of this role)
This role represents an exceptional chance to advance your data protection and GDPR expertise into the public sector and take advantage of the amazing opportunity this move will afford you.
We’ll invest in you and your future, provide training and development to empower your progression to lead your area of work and make a difference and equip you with the tools you need to succeed with us.
As the Data Protection Officer, you will be tasked with implementing and driving compliance with the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018.
Specifically, you will inform and advise the Council and employees of their GDPR and data protection obligations, raise awareness through training and complete a range of data audits.
Acting as the main point of contact for the Information Commissioner’s Office and the liaison between the public, staff and the Council for data protection, you will also:
- Work with the Senior Leadership Team, Council Cabinet and Audit Committee
- Monitor compliance with GDPR and Data Protection
- Analyse and check data processing activities and practices
- Provide advice on the impact of data protection impact assessments
- Ensure there is a continuous training programme for staff on GDPR and data protection
To be considered as the Data Protection Officer, you will need:
- In-depth knowledge of the GDPR and Data Protection legislation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including excellent training and customer care skills
- The ability to enthuse and inspire others to adopt new ways of working and promote good Data Protection practice
- The ability to analyse complex data and make recommendations
- The ability to independently investigate complaints and provide timely and balanced recommendations
- Plenty of initiative and the ability to maintain confidentiality when required and handle sensitive personal data appropriately
Other organisations may call this role GDPR Officer, Data Compliance Officer, Information Officer, Data Security Officer, Data & Privacy Officer, Information Management Officer, or Information Governance Officer.
Webrecruit and Watford Borough Council are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you are ready for the next chapter in your career as a Data Protection Officer at Watford Borough Council, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.