Medway Council has a net revenue budget of almost £300million and a capital programme worth a further £300million. The Finance Strategy Team of 24 FTE operates at the heart of the organisation, working alongside elected Members, senior leaders and budget managers across the Council to develop and manage our annual budgets.
We are recruiting a Management Accountant to join the team to support our Children’s Social Care service. Working alongside two other dedicated accountants and reporting to the Finance Business Partner – Children’s Social Care & Education, this role will be responsible for a range of tasks including;
- Preparation of annual budgets, revenue monitoring forecasts (preparing and/or checking and challenging those prepared by the service), statutory reporting and closure of the accounts.
- Producing analytical work including unit cost and trend analysis, costing of restructures, calculating the impact of savings/income generating opportunities.
- Provision of day-to-day financial advice to chief officers and other senior managers.
We are looking for a CCAB qualified or an AAT accountant with knowledge and experience in Local Government, ideally within Children’s Social Care finance. The successful candidate will be a good communicator, with excellent interpersonal skills who is able to work well under pressure, managing tasks to meet deadlines.
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- Assisted car purchase scheme
- The Government has introduced new ways of supporting parents with childcare costs. Further details are available here: - https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager please call Maria Beaney on 01634 331204.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.