Wokingham Borough Council who are based in Wokingham Town Centre is currently recruiting for a range of full time permanent Development Control Engineers – Section 38/Section 278 to join the Highways Development Team.
Key Duties, Responsibilities & Accountabilities:-
• Liaison with colleagues and provide advice to developers, engineers and contractors to ensure the best outcome relating to the detailed design of highway geometry, surfacing, lighting, structures, maintenance and drainage
• Carrying out technical reviews of Section 38 and Section 278 submissions, and managing technical acceptance, provision certificates and final certificates processes
• Oversee and inspect the construction of new highways, serving development delivered as part of formal s38 and s278 works
• Undertake regular visits to development sites to meet with contractors and developers to ensure the smooth running of construction projects, confirming design requirements and that construction and procedures meet requirements
• Reviewing road safety audits and responding to designers responses at all stages of the design and construction process in accordance with highway standards
• Keeping up to date with changes to statutory processes and design standards
• Liaising effectively with planning, legal and engineering colleagues
• Instructing legal colleagues on Section 38/Section 278 agreements
• Carrying out ad-hoc research and maintaining information/databases on particular topics relevant to development engineering projects
• Provide technical assistance to the Manager and other Team Members
Skills, Attributes & Experience required:-
• Able to demonstrate experience, knowledge and understanding of DMRB and Manual for Streets design standards and Local Authority procedures in relation to the design and construction of highway schemes under Section 38 and 278 of the Highways Act.
• An awareness of the UK planning application process.
• Ability to manage tasks without supervision.
• Effective time management and strong organisational skills.
• Excellent verbal and diplomacy skills are essential
• Effective written communication skills, including ability to prepare reports and other written material
• Ability to prioritise a range of activities to meet deadlines
• Attention to detail using a logical, analytical and objective approach
• Excellent team player
• Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel
• Ideally proficient in the use of industry standard computer software including Auto-cad and Auto-track
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, other workers and volunteers to share this commitment.
To apply, please follow the link to the online application form. CVs are not accepted.
Alternatively, please call 0118 974 6116 (answerphone outside office hours) quoting ref: 711302
Wokingham Borough Council is an equal opportunities employer.