SENIOR ACCOUNTANT – TECHNICAL
Full time 37 hours
RG7 (scp 33 - 39) £35,934 to £41,675 pa
Looking for a challenging new role that offers excellent opportunities for training and professional development? Then look to Reading Borough Council. You’ll find a modern, open plan working environment, as well as an ambitious team of people who work together to make a positive difference for our communities.
About the roles
You will be required to work with the Technical Lead in the Financial Control, Systems and Accounts team to implement and maintain improved technical accounting practice and standards within Reading Borough Council. This will require influencing the wider Finance Team to drive improvements, set and subsequently maintain internal technical accounting standards, systems and processes to ensure that the Council can swiftly and accurately report its financial performance, both monthly and annually, to support decision-making, scrutiny and good custodianship of public resources.
You will be responsible for contributing significantly to internal technical accounting standards and the maintenance for procedures and processes to ensure integrity of the Council’s Accounts.
Essential criteria for this role include:
- AAT qualified or part qualified Accountant
- Up to date knowledge of all relevant legislation, organisational procedures, policies and professional codes of conduct
- Knowledge and experience of public sector finance
- Hands on experience of the technical accounting requirements of a local authority, preferably via a close down process
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
- Relocation scheme offering up to £8,000 towards the cost of relocating permanently to Reading (only for approved posts)For more information on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that these dates are indicative at this stage and may be subject to change
- Interview Date: week commencing 07th October 2019