Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 105,000 people and 3,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
- To provide information and guidance to visitors on all matters concerned with tourism, leisure and recreation in the borough and surrounding areas
- To have an in-depth knowledge of places of local interest and beyond in order to recommend things to do and see
- To update the Visit Gravesend website and run the various Visit Gravesend social media accounts
- To sell tourism items and maintain adequate stocks of materials such as maps and souvenirs. Book events, guided tours and visits to local attractions
- To maintain an attractive display of material and exhibitions and promote major events of interest to visitors and residents
- To maintain records of purchases, stock, visitors and telephone enquiries
- To handle cash transactions and bank cash on a regular basis
- To operate the Shopmobility Scheme from the Visitor Center premises
Demonstrable customer service skills; Excellent written and oral communication skills; proven working knowledge of IT packages including Word, Excel, Datatbases and Internet; Social media and web content management skills; Ability to work unsupervised and alone on own initiative; Ability to build good working relationships with local tourism partners, community groups and organisations; knowledge of local area; GCSE in English and Maths; Front-line working both telephone and face to face.
Organisational and time management skills; wider geographic knowledge; Customer Service qualification; Tourist Information Centre experience; administrative experience.
In return we offer you
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme by Care First
Care First is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help, whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Jackie Denton on 01474 337725.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is working towards equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.