The London Fire Brigade’s vision is to be a world class fire and rescue service. We are the busiest fire and rescue service in the country and one of the largest firefighting and rescue organisations in the world. Our workforce comprises of about 4,500 operational and 1,000 non-operational staff.
An opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and flexible individual to support the Payroll and Finance Team at the London Fire Brigade
Based in the Payroll team you will predominately work on payroll tasks You will also be required to provide support to the accounts payable/receivable team and wider finance team to ensure service resilience and as part of your development of skills and knowledge.
Key duties include:
- Ensuring the payroll system database is regularly updated in relation to payroll and pension information including processing starters, leavers and other pay changes.
- Dealing with e-mails, phone calls and face to face queries from employees, other departments and external organisations efficiently and with a high level of customer care.
- Keeping up to date with pay information including policies, regulations and pay awards.
- Contributing to the efficient operation of the Payroll Team by undertaking administrative duties when required and providing support and cover for other team members.
- Ensuring confidentiality and security of data are maintained at all time.
- Work as a finance assistant within the main Finance team when required, to support the processing of supplier invoices, reviewing debtors invoices and dealing with supplier and debtors queries as appropriate.
Key requirements for this role:
- A good level of numeracy skills
- Knowledge of the payroll function and the calculations required
- Competence in use of software packages commonly used for processing data e.g. Microsoft Excel, payroll packages
- Attention to detail with the ability to process information accurately, methodically and efficiently.
- Ability to organise own work to meet tight deadlines and objectives
- Ability to work confidentially, with tact and discretion
- Must be proactive and take responsibility for getting things done
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Must have a flexible and adaptable approach to work
- Understanding of and commitment to equality and diversity
We value the diversity of our employees, and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects our diverse communities across London. The London Fire Commissioner is an Equal Opportunities Employer and we positively welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals, irrespective of people's age, disability, gender, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or other personal circumstances. We have guidance in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including the consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability.
Assessment for this role is due to place on 7 November. Please be advised that if you are unable to make the scheduled assessment date, we may not be able to make alternative arrangements.