Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.About the job
The Revenues and Benefits Service provides vital statutory services to the council in the assessment and collection of council tax and business rates and assessment and payment of housing benefit and council tax support to residents.
The Technical Control Officer supports the service in delivering its operations by providing controls and maintenance of computer systems used within the service to maximise system availability and efficiency . The team is responsible for running the processes for housing benefit, producing over 120,000 annual bills for council tax and business rates and the completion of government returns , and reconciliations of systems and cash office duties.
This post is responsible for the maintaining and running of Council Tax , Business Rates and Housing Benefit computer systems, scheduling and running processes and maintaining parameter and security controls.
On a regular basis the post holder will be responsible for the running the systems jobs to initiate direct debit payments (up to £9 million per run) to collect council tax and business rates and pay out Housing Benefit to residents and produce bills and reminders . The role will also be involved in testing and implementing new functionality and software releases.The post holder will require the ability to understand how council tax, business rates and benefits works and technical knowledge in relation to the software used for this.About the person
At entry level suitable candidates will have excellent numeracy and communication skills and must be able to work as part of a team, the ability to problem solve and use logic to find solutions. Being familiar with various software packages and IT literate is a vital.Candidates who are able to demonstrate experience and knowledge of working in a council tax, business rates or housing benefit environment with the necessary ICT skills would be considered at higher salary. The successful candidate will help to drive through our change programme for the Revenues and Benefit Service.Additional information
Proposed interview dates: 19 and 21 November, although this may change subject to business needs.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
Additional Information continued
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 23 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Disability Confident Employer
& Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy