£16.33 per hour plus an hourly annual leave allowance of £2.28 (£18.61 per hour inclusive) for a number of hours according to availability. Interpreter bookings will mostly be in educational settings (colleges and universities) across Surrey.
Physical and Sensory Support (PSS) is a targeted specialist education service for defined and vulnerable young people. The Physical & Sensory Support (PSS) Post 16 Team consists of approximately 20+ student support workers (SSWs), BSL interpreters, and advisory teachers for sensory impairment.
The BSL interpreter / SSW post is a peripatetic role, providing specialist support to students with sensory impairment (PSI) in Colleges and Universities in and around Surrey.
In the role you will be required to work in partnership with other professionals as part of Physical & Sensory Support (PSS) with young people in educational settings providing curriculum access to Further and Higher Education course.
You will be providing support to students with Sensory Impairment (PSI) to facilitate inclusion and academic access. The support will mostly be interpreting between BSL/SSE and English. Occasionally you may be asked to provide manual or electronic notes to support students, according to your skills and experience and availability.
You will be required to communicate and liaise with Post 16 colleagues, students, college and university staff to facilitate quality assurance with regard to support and student achievement.
To be shortlisted to interview for this position your application will clearly evidence:
- Current registration with NRCPD as a fully qualified or trainee BSL interpreter (RSLI or TSLI)
- Relevant skills, qualifications and experience in BSL interpreting
- Experience of working with deaf people in an education setting
- Flexibility to support students across Surrey
- It would be desirable to have some experience or skills in notetaking to support students who need this support - or a willingness to undergo such training as required.
- You will need use of your own car for business purposes (to travel to different sites around Surrey)
For an informal discussion contact James Fitzgerald by e-mail at JAMES.FITZGERALD@SURREYCC.GOV.UK.
We look forward to receiving your application.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 1st November 2019. Interviews will take place during the first two weeks of November.