Permanent: 37 Hours per Week
The Benefit Service is responsible for the timely and accurate processing and payment of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support as well as processing all types of change in circumstances.
An exciting opportunity has become available for an experienced, enthusiastic and motivated Benefit Assessment officer to join our Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Team.
Good Customer Service skills and knowledge of Housing Benefit and Council Tax support scheme legislation, and recent assessment experience, are essential to this role
- Processing of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claims and changes in circumstances, and dealing with customer enquiries
- Consider and review ensuring the regulations have been applied correctly.
- Provide a full written outcome of the decision or prepare the response for submission to the First Tier Tribunal and separate submission for the Council Tax Tribunal, where necessary.
- Present the appeal on behalf of the council to both First Tier Tribunal and/ or Valuation Tribunal for Local Council Tax Support.
It is important to us that you have:
- Previous experience in similar role
- Excellent ICT and written communication skills
- A customer focussed approach
- Organisation and time management skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Flexibility to deal with changing priorities
Our vision - Thurrock: a place of opportunity, enterprise and excellence where individuals, communities and businesses flourish.
Thurrock is an exciting place to live and work. We are an emerging cultural and arts centre, home to the production centre for the and the .
We have retail and leisure that is among the best, with the magnificent , and breath-taking countryside all around.
We are an area of massive growth, which is creating jobs and new industry, but with great transport links that can get you into London and other parts of the UK quickly and easily.
Thurrock Council is committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sections of the community. Disabled people will be offered an interview where they meet all essential criteria on the person specification. Job share applications are also welcome. Most departments operate a system of flexible working hours.
We serve a diverse community where people are different yet equal. Diversity underpins everything we do.
Closing Date 3 November 2019
To view the Job Profile and Person Specification please follow the link below: