Reading is an exciting and forward thinking unitary authority with a busy and friendly Building Control Service. The Building Control Service deals with all aspects of the Building Regulations, including the examination of full plans/Building Notice applications, site inspections, dangerous structures, unauthorised and regularisation applications and enforcement duties as and when required. We deal with a wide ranging and interesting development proposals throughout the city and this post can provide you with an excellent opportunity to develop your career in Building Control.
About the role
You will be a member of a busy team of Building Inspectors, maintaining a caseload of applications for Building Regulations approval including some complex and challenging projects. You will be expected to proactively seek opportunities to promote our Building Control service and increase market share. You will hold the relationship between the Council and developer in respect of minor/major development proposals, providing an efficient and effective building control service and representing the service on a wide range of projects.
We are looking for a positive and enthusiastic person to join our Building Control team as a trainee building control surveyor. This is a great opportunity for a motivated person to gain skills and knowledge and receive on the job training to begin a career in building control. You will be expected to provide assistance to the team both in the office with administration / plans checking and out on-site carrying out inspections.
Excellent communication and customer service skills are required, as you will be dealing with building professionals, contractors, members of the public and other public authorities on a regular basis. 5 Grade “C” GCSE including Maths and English and some knowledge of construction industry is required.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Employee Assistance Programme - round-the-clock access to free, impartial and completely confidential support and advice from trained therapists and legal experts
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
- Salary sacrifice scheme for Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) to help you save for your retirement
- 'Your Reading Passport' scheme - competitive rates for local gyms
- Shopping vouchers and money off deals
- Staff Club - organises events such as pub quizzes and theatre trips
- Eye care - help towards an eye test and glasses, if you use a computer at work
- Relocation scheme offering up to £8,000 towards the cost of relocating permanently to Reading (only for approved posts)
For more information on this position please contact email@example.com.