Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.About the job
This is an exciting opportunity to work for London’s second largest borough as a Senior Communications Officer on a part-time basis (Wednesdays to Fridays). The advertised salary will be pro-rata'd.
Reporting into the Media, Campaigns and Digital Manager, you will be a key player in the Corporate Communications team and be responsible for communicating externally and internally the wide range of work the council does and the services it provides.
This will involve answering media enquiries, writing press releases, advising on crisis communications, writing articles for internal and external publications and conceptualising and producing printed and digital materials for awareness campaigns and projects. About the person
The ideal candidate will have significant experience of working in communications for a local authority or within a similar role in the public sector.
With a keen eye for a story, you will seek out proactive media opportunities and protect the reputation of the organisation through reactive media relations. You will have a strong understanding of how the media works and demonstrable experience in media liaison.
You will have frequent contact with senior politicians and work closely with a variety of council service teams. You will also get the chance to work on various high-profile stories, including issues specific to Hillingdon, such as unaccompanied asylum seeking children, High Speed Rail 2 and Heathrow expansion.
While significant media experience is more crucial to this role, you will also be expected to deliver a range of successful proactive campaigns at the same time. Therefore, the ability to conceptualise campaigns, create communication plans, produce materials and evaluate campaigns is a must.
In addition, you’ll have a sound understanding of social media and digital communications. Additional information
For an informal discussion or further information about this role please contact Leo Tarring by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01895 250534.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
Additional Information continued
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For mid to senior level positions holiday entitlement is 33 days a year (plus bank holidays) and rise to a maximum of 36 days after 10 year's service.
- career breaks
- childcare schemes for working parents
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses