Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents firstAbout the jobThis post is part time 18 hours per week and the salary will be pro-rata.
Hillingdon Music Hub delivers Whole Class, group and individual tuition to children across the second-largest London Borough. We are a thriving and expanding music hub, working as part of Hillingdon Council. We are seeking an enthusiastic person with an appreciation for music education to be a central organising force in our Music School and events.
The postholder will work closely with parents and children on rehearsal and event days (significant weekend and evening work will be involved in term time), as the main on-the-ground person ensuring that our activities are safe and well co-ordinated.
In the office, the postholder will oversee timetables, staff rotas, diary bookings, transport, risk assessments, child performance licences, ticketing and other administration necessary to bring about smoothly-running rehearsals and events. You will also ensure efficient communication with parents, by email and other methods, so they know where and when their children need to be and what they will need with them.
You will also use our databases to maintain up-to-date registers of students participating in our orchestras, bands, choirs and other ensembles.
You will also manage, rota and train a small group of casual Music School officers who will provide support at Music School and events.About the person
You are enthusiastic about music education and have some understanding of how a Music School works. You will be committed to supporting all kinds of diverse music performance events, across multiple genres.
You will be highly organised and a really strong communicator, in person, on the phone and in writing. You have a strong customer service ethic and want to solve problems and hiccups as they arise. You will be happy to be the last person on site at the end of an event, checking that everything has completed successfully and that all children have left safely.
You are comfortable with working with databases and spreadsheets, and with standard office applications.
You are comfortable with undertaking supervisory and first aid duties with children from 5-18 and with helping to move instruments and equipment for events.
The hours of the contract will be annualised across the year to respond to times of greater or lesser demand. Some working may be required during the school holidays. In particular late August is a key time for instrument pickups for the new academic year.
An enhanced, child-workforce DBS check is essential.Additional Information
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For mid to senior level positions holiday entitlement is 33 days a year (plus bank holidays) and rise to a maximum of 36 days after 10 year's service.
- career breaks
- childcare schemes for working parents
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances. More information about Hillingdon Music Hub is at www.hillingdon.gov.uk/music
Disability Confident Employer &
Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy