Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 95,000 people and 3,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the north west corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in south east England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
You will be based at Brookvale depot working as part of contracts planned works team.
You will be supporting our Contracts manager, Contract officer and Apprentice surveyor who are carrying out a wide range of building improvement / upgrade works to our housing stock.
You will be working as a Building Surveyor within planned and major works team. You will manage a portfolio of properties and be responsible for working with residents to carry out internal and external surveys for contractors to complete the required work. You will write up reports and work with the contractors to ensure the work is carried out on time, to budget and meets quality standards.
The type of projects may include decoration/repairs to external and communal areas, windows replacement, re-roofing, electrical testing and upgrading, kitchens and bathroom replacement and structural repairs.
Good standards of general education to 5 GCSEs at grade C (or equivalent) including English and maths.
A recognised qualification
( e.g. BTEC, HNC ) in building construction or surveying
- Have knowledge and good understanding of social housing. Experience of social housing planned works.
- Have ability to work as a team with minimum supervision.
- Extensive experience in building construction. Knowledge of CDM and party wall agreement
- Member of professional organisation e.g. CIOB, RICS etc.
- Have capability to undertake research so that you can evaluate different building such as products or building methods.
- Have relevant experience of using Microsoft packages; in particular be able to demonstrate practical IT skills using Word and Excel spreadsheets to analyse data and be able to use various software packages as part of undertaking surveying role.
- Be organised and methodical when preparing and managing your own workload or undertaking surveys
- Be good communicator when working with all other departments, contractors and housing staff.
- Have ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken and written English
In return we offer you
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help,
whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
Cycle to work
By working with us you'll typically save between 31% and 48% of the retail cost of bikes and accessories. You can find out more on the Cycle Solutions website.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Gurdeep Ghattaora on 01474 337754.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is working towards equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.