£27,099 per annum for 36 hours per week based at Consort House, 5-7 Queensway, Redhill, RH1 1YB.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 24 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme.
About the role
The introduction of the 2014 Special Educational Needs Disabilities (SEND) Code of Practice states that all Local Authorities must provide parents, carers, children and young people with access to a SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS).
The team provide a service to children and young people with SEND and their parents / carers that meets the requirements of government guidance and legislation by providing impartial information, advice and support; informing them of their rights in respect of SEND processes, providing advocacy support and empowerment to express views through developing the confidence to self-advocate and make informed choices.
Some of the main role functions will be:
- Working with SENDIASS in maintaining an autonomous service that works at 'arm's length' from the Local Authority; providing expert, impartial and objective advice, information and support to children and young people with SEN and disabilities and their parent/ carers via the helpline, email, other digital arenas and face to face meetings. To undertake and follow up agreed actions such as discussions with schools, local authorities or other agencies.
- To undertake outcome focussed casework through supporting service users to express their views in meetings with the local authority, school and other professionals or in writing; tailoring support to individual needs, researching and signposting to other services as necessary.
- To demonstrate and promote partnership working with local partners including parent and young people forums, to inform and influence policy and practice in the local area ensuring that the views of children and young people with SEND and their parent/ carers are heard.
- To plan and facilitate group work, training and presentations to promote the understanding of SEND processes and inclusive practice and to provide support for SENDIASS volunteers, including mentoring and supervision.
- To support disagreement resolution between young people/ parent/ carers and the Local Authority, Education, Health and Social Care agencies, through advocacy and mediation.
- To provide information, advice and support before, during and following a SEND appeal and or Tribunal in a range of ways, dependent on the needs of the parent or young person. This may include representation during the hearing.
- To support and promote the co-design of service developments and monitoring, including information and resources about what the SENDIASS offer, making sure the views of service users, parents and professionals are taken into account.
Post holders will be expected to be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to their post and may be asked to perform other duties, which reasonably correspond to the general character of the post and are commensurate with its level of responsibility.
For full details about the role, please see the attached job description.
For an informal discussion about the role or for any questions, please contact by email on email@example.com or by calling the helpline on 01737 737300.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 15/12/2019.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.
An enhanced DBS 'Disclosure and Barring Service' check for regulated activity (formerly known as CRB) and the Children's and Adults' Barred List checks will be required for this role.