Permanent and fixed-term positions available (fixed-term contract for 12 months)
Full details - We've set up a dedicated recruitment website for IT and Digital roles, you can learn more about the work we do, our customers, vision, available roles and what it's like to work for us by visiting www.kingston-sutton-digital-jobs.co.uk/
Digital and IT is a shared service between Kingston and Sutton Councils providing digital and technology services to both Councils as well as a number of arm's length companies.
We're committed to delivering great public services that are not only highly effective but also easily accessible. We’ve championed the digitisation of services as well as adopting a ‘mobile first’ model to ensure that this commitment is fulfilled.
Working in the Application Support team, you’ll be responsible for the provision of application support, management and development services. We are particularly keen to hear from people who have experience supporting and managing a range of local government business systems including social care systems, especially Mosaic and Liquidlogic, and housing systems, especially Universal Housing and Northgate Housing.
This role is offered on a fixed term basis for 12 months in order to backfill resources working on projects.
The role reports directly to an Application Lead and its main purpose is to:
- Resolve incidents and requests for support from service desk, other service delivery staff and/or users
- Work with colleagues to provide responses to requests for support, eg:
- making modifications to system parameters
- developing work-arounds or site-specific enhancements
- reconfiguring systems
- changing operating procedures
- training users or operations staff
- producing additional documentation
- escalating requests to systems development staff or software suppliers.
- Use application management software and tools to collect performance statistics
- Design test cases and create test scripts and supporting data. Analyse and report test activities and results in a clear and concise manner
- Follow formal procedures to plan and test proposed solutions/upgrades
- Work with users to specify, design and implement new or changed user interfaces or security profiles such as data capture forms, process workflows, web pages
- Undertake analytical activities and deliver analysis outputs in accordance with customer needs and conforming to agreed standards
- Take an active role in user meetings and assist in presenting issues and solutions both orally and in writing
- Act as a point of escalation for application queries from other teams in Digital & IT
- Ensure that all documentation is written, maintained and executed to the highest standards and acts as a champion of the Quality Management System (QMS)
- Work within the ITIL framework.
Main duties of the job for appointment at or progression to Grade G includes:
- Monitor application systems by regular scrutiny of reports from the applications software or service delivery staff. Note problems and performance trends, taking corrective action where required
- Liaise with systems development staff or software suppliers for system enhancements to overcome known problems or further fulfil user requirements
- Take a leading role in the specification of new or changed user interfaces or security profiles
- Take a leading role in the preparation of software implementation procedures with fall back contingency plans. Test new versions of software
- Prepare and maintain operational documentation for relevant system software products
- Advise application users on the correct and effective use of softwareTranslate logical designs into physical designs taking account of target environment, performance requirements and existing systems
- Analyse and execute test requirements. Design and build simple test case suites, test scripts, and test procedures, with expected results
- Investigate and model business functions, processes, information flows and data structures, using various methods and techniques.
In order to successfully deliver the responsibilities of the role, you will need to:
- Question and challenge ways of working, with an understanding of the bigger picture in terms of the corporate context and external environment
- Demonstrate agility and adaptability in mindset and ways of working
- Work successfully with key stakeholders within and outside of the Council
- Demonstrate commitment to own personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the role
- Demonstrate innovation and creativity
- Actively engage in positive cross organisational communications and team working
- Communicate clearly, confidently and appropriately with colleagues using the best methods of communication for the task.
- Experience of complex application support environments
- Knowledge of the IT infrastructure (hardware, databases, operating systems, local area networks etc)
- Familiar with systems supporting specific business functions or processes. Examples: social care, housing management, libraries, customer services, finance
- Familiar with testing techniques used to plan and execute software tests of application components
- Familiar with applications/processes which enable selective access to information held within some form of database or "data warehouse". Examples: Exporting data to a spreadsheet via ODBC, writing SQL statements, using Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services or Business Objects
- An understanding of ITIL practices and an appreciation of service hand over.
Benefits we offer
Kingston Council has good access to central London and our offices are a short walk from the station based in the middle of the historic and vibrant high street next to the open spaces of the river Thames, offering a wide range of shops, restaurants and leisure facilities; all making for a desirable place to live and work.
The successful candidate will have access to a wide range of staff benefits, some of which include:
- 26/29 days annual leave - In addition you will receive 8 statutory bank holidays
- Local government pension scheme
- Interest free season loan ticket
- Cycle to work and Zip Car Scheme
- Discounts on a range of local shops, restaurants, gyms and leisure centres
- Comprehensive Learning and Development programme
- A forward thinking and networked organisation where employee’s views are valued.
- Modern and flexible working environment allowing employees to benefit from agile working practices.
Please apply online detailing what experience, skills and abilities you can bring to this role and our IT and Digital Service by visiting www.kingston-sutton-digital-jobs.co.uk/
Closing date: Tuesday 31st December 2019
Interview date: To be confirmed