Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
Join our award-winning Green Spaces team!
London Borough of Hillingdon has earned the title of the greenest borough in London after being awarded a staggering 55 Green Flags in 2019 - the most held for parks and open spaces both nationally and internationally!
The Green Flag awards not only reward our clean, welcoming and community-orientated green spaces, but also highlight the commitment, dedication and hard work of our Green Spaces team, who work relentlessly to ensure our parks and open spaces are some of the best in the UK.
We are now looking for a Green Spaces Technical Officer who will join the team and play a vital role in our continued success. About the job
The role of Green Spaces Technical Officer will contribute to the delivery of an effective, excellent, value-for-money set of green spaces services.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Managing the inspection and maintenance of parks, green spaces and children's playgrounds
- Assisting in the design and planting of seasonal bedding displays
- Managing events, including fairs, circuses and sport events
- Producing reports and responses to enquiries, complaints and requests from key stakeholders including residents, MPs and local organisations
- Supervision of contractors and other agents undertaking work in parks and green spaces, ensuring that standards and quality are maintainedAbout the person
The successful candidate will be a highly organised and self-motivated individual, with a NVQ Level 2 (or equivalent) in Horticulture or Conservation.
Experience of coordinating practical works, managing procurement processes and working in partnership with contractors is essential. You will also need strong verbal and written communication skills, alongside presentation skills and an ability to compile data and reports. Experience of using information systems to store and retrieve data and develop schedules and programmes will also be highly beneficial.
Finally, you will have an extensive understanding and appreciation of the benefits of community engagement in local development projects and initiatives, and have experience of working to deliver excellent customer service. Additional information Other opportunities
The Green Spaces team are also looking for an Arboricultural Manager who will advise on and manage a wide range of tree, woodland and landscape matters in relation to planning applications, tree preservation and conservation. For more information about this role, please take a look at our advert: https://ig24.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_lbh01.asp?newms=jj&id=143302&
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement
- career breaks
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools
- cycle purchase scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Disability Confident Employer &
Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy