Winchester City Council is seeking to recruit an Environmental Protection Officer to lead on the delivery of Contaminated Land services. This includes our responsibilities under Part 11A of Environmental Protection Act and responding to Planning and Building control consultations, as well as solicitor and householder enquiries.
The post holder will be expected to have extensive technical knowledge of contaminated land, being able to critically review reports, remediation strategies and verification documents to determine potential risks to human health and the environment.
The successful applicant will need to have a science based honours degree and relevant work experience.
The post holder will be highly IT literate with a solid understanding of GIS databases, ideally including ArcGIS. They will lead on the further development of contaminated land processes including improvements to data capture and reporting.
Spending approximately 50% of their time on contaminated land, the post holder will be expected to spend the rest of their time delivering other Environmental Protection services. This includes, noise and other nuisance investigations, private water supplies, public health issues and festival work. The post holder will be expected to manage their own case work, including the instigation enforcement action, where appropriate, with minimal supervision. Experience /training/qualifications in this area of work are desirable, although training will be provided where necessary.
The successful applicant will have excellent communication and customer care skills.
In return, we offer an excellent package of benefits including:
- Employer paid health cash plan
- Cycle to Work and Car Benefit salary sacrifice schemes
- Competitive annual leave per year
- Flexible working arrangements
- 13 days additional flexi leave per year (subject to operational requirements)
- Option to buy up to 5 days additional annual leave
- Free parking
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Discounted membership at the two leisure centres in the district
- Confidential Employee Advice and Support Programme
- Employee retail and shopping discounts
- Season Ticket Loans
- Excellent working environment
- Support for continuous professional development
For an informal discussion please contact Abigail Toms, Environmental Protection Manager on 01962 848598 (email@example.com) or Phil Tidridge, Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner on 01962 848519 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Closing Date: Monday 24th February 2020
Provisional Interview Date: Thursday 12th March 2020