Reading Borough Council is a Unitary Authority that hosts the Joint Legal Team. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to join the Joint Legal Team who currently provide legal services to the six unitary authorities that formerly made up Berkshire County Council.
About the roles
The Joint Legal Team are recruiting to two lawyer posts in its Adult Social Care and Education Team. One post requires an excellent working knowledge in key adult social care legislation and the second post requires an excellent working knowledge in key education legislation, in particular an ability to conduct special education needs appeals.
We are looking for someone with:
- Good organisational and communication skills (both written and verbal) and showing a high degree of attention to detail.
- The ability to hold a case load and to work as part of a team.
- The ability to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- The ability to conduct your own advocacy
- The ability to provide advice to a wide range of stakeholders
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Employee Assistance Programme - round-the-clock access to free, impartial and completely confidential support and advice from trained therapists and legal experts
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
- Salary sacrifice scheme for Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) to help you save for your retirement
- 'Your Reading Passport' scheme - competitive rates for local gyms
- Shopping vouchers and money off deals
- Staff Club - organises events such as pub quizzes and theatre trips
- Eye care - help towards an eye test and glasses, if you use a computer at work
- Relocation scheme offering up to £8,000 towards the cost of relocating permanently to Reading (only for approved posts)
Closing Date: 24th February 2020
Interview Date: week commencing 02nd March 2020
Please note that these dates are indicative at this stage and may be subject to change