Medway Youth Service is recruiting for a Senior Youth Development Worker to lead one of its area teams, developing and delivering a program of targeted and open access provision. We are looking for a dynamic Youth Worker with strong leadership skills and experience working with vulnerable young people.
Medway Youth Service works with young people 8–19 years old (25 for young people with additional needs) offering somewhere to go, something to do and someone to talk to in their leisure time. It delivers a range of social, sports, creative and fun activities, supporting young people to learn new skills and socialise in a safe, positive way.
We strongly believe that young people’s participation is key to delivering an excellent service, and achieved Flag Ship status last year using the NYA’s Hear By Right accreditation. Our activities are planned with young people and we support them to develop projects tackling issues that concern them. We aim to reduce barriers that might prevent young people in engaging in our service and will always attempt to find ways to include young people regardless of their confidence, background or ability.
We aim to provide:
• Inspiring activities each session, including sports, arts and personal development.
• Events where young people meet, compete and collaborate with each other
• Trips and residential activities to boost confidence and broaden horizons
• Targeted programmes for young people at risk or with additional needs (for example young people in care, young people with special educational needs and disabilities, those at risk of exploitation, young people who go missing.)
• Information, advice and guidance to NEET young people.
Find out more about our sessions at: www.medway.gov.uk/youth
In return we offer you:
• Generous annual leave entitlement
• Generous local government pension scheme package
• Access to wider training and development qualifications
• Flexible working scheme
• Travel plan discounts
• Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
• Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
• The Government has introduced new ways of supporting parents with childcare costs. Further details are available here: - https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager please call Roy Smith on 07717507140.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.