Please note this is a 12-month fixed term contract.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Accountant who will join a pension fund, boasting one of the largest numbers of admitted employers within the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
The successful candidate will play a fundamental role in delivering and accounting for the Fund's financial strategy, with oversight of preparation of employer accounting requirements and related audit queries.
The role will be responsible for the collation of financial data and analytics for pension board reporting.
- Responsible for maintaining oversight of the delivery and implementation of the Funding Strategy, including contribution accounting and providing analytical reporting and monitoring for the Employer Manager and Pension Boards.
- Accountable for co-ordination and planning for the employer pension accounting disclosures for over 500 employers and associated auditor enquiries.
- Accountable for the preparation of valuation accounting data of all employers 650+ including fund level data.
- Accountable for monitoring the general ledger in respect of contribution input preparing regular reporting to ensure accurate data records are maintained in line with TPR requirements
- Pro-actively scope and monitor employer accounting/closure training needs, to disseminate knowledge on emerging disclosure requirements and audit expectations.
- Responsible for the continuous review and oversight of the monitoring and assisting employers with bond/security arrangements. Responsible for regular risk reviews of employers in the fund.
- Oversight for the Fund's deliverables in relation to employer’s admissions, conversion of schools into Academies and termination events.
- Responsible for ensuring the funding and contribution requirements of the actuarial valuations and interim reviews are met.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Qualified CIPFA Accountant or similar (ACCA, ACA or CIMA), preferable to have knowledge of the public sector.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Desirable to have experience of the practical application of Actuarial concepts, including: interrelationship between Actuarial Valuations and Funding strategies; elements of actuarial assessment of admission and cessation events; differentials of employer contributions on both an ongoing and least risk basis or a willingness to learn new skills and apply your abilities within a new vertical.
- A track record in accounting and analytics, the timely production of audit deliverables, along with technical and communication skills required to maintain a productive dialogue with internal and external auditors and all employers in respect of accounting disclosures.
- A track record of productive dialogue with auditors, providing guidance to both large and small employers in relation to accounting standard requirements and queries.
- Advanced excel spreadsheet capability including extensive usage of pivot/lookup tables and macros required to produce analytics.
- Experience of building strong relationships across a large organisation as well as with external organisations, which are collaborative and influential in their nature to achieve strategic objectives.
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on our career site.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0333 013 5888.
Closing date: 24 March 2020.
To apply click here https://essexcc.taleo.net/careersection/ecc_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=26594&lang=en