Up to £40,314pa depending on experience. Initial 12 month fixed term contract with the view to going permanent
At Hightown, we`re a housing charity that builds homes and support people.
We have an opportunity for a Software Developer within our busy, friendly Software Development team at our Head Office in Hemel Hempstead. We`re looking for someone who has the right values, behaviours and attitudes to be the difference which are:
- Putting our residents and service users first
- Treating people with respect, promoting independence and choice
- Developing passionate and committed teams
- Being cost effective without compromising standards or safety
If you share our values, we`d love you to work for us.
Who we are looking for
We`re looking for someone who:
- has a passion for technology and programming
- understands systems from a technical and non-technical perspective
- enjoys automating processes as much as possible
- takes a creative approach to problem solving
- has a positive attitude
- has good mathematical aptitude
- has good attention to detail
- has excellent communication skills and is able to liaise with colleagues at all levels
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who enjoys a challenge and is looking to work as part of a team as well as alone who can make a real difference by helping others within the organisation.
We are ideally looking for an experienced developer used to designing and creating these types of applications but we have successfully trained Junior Developers in the past and would be interested to receive applications from anyone who is interested in this area of work, who is good at maths, has some experience of coding or working on complex spreadsheets and who can demonstrate the potential to learn quickly.
Depending on your experience and skill level, you will have had an appropriate level of exposure to the following essential areas:
SQL Server 2012-2016: Very strong T-SQL: Stored Procedures, Views, Functions, Triggers etc. Database Design, Debugging, Indexing, Performance Tuning, profile Traces, SQL Agent jobs
C# (VB.net would also be considered): Writing robust, well-architected applications from scratch, Web development (ASP.net, MVC, MVVM, HTML5, WebAssembly etc), Debugging your code, as well as code written by others.
SSRS: Designing and modifying reports, Troubleshooting, Data-Driven Subscriptions
It would be advantageous if you have any experience in the following desirable areas:
- WPF, SSIS, SSAS, Power BI, Cubes, Data Warehousing, Data Lakes etc. SQL Server CLR functions, SQL Server Data Administration, Android/ iOSmobile app development, Working with XML/JSON, Agile development practices, Version control: TFS, SVN, GIT etc., CI/CD pipelines, Any other programming languages
You can expect to work with the following tools & technologies on a daily basis:
- Visual Studio 2017 - C#, SSRS, SQL Server Management Studio with Redgate SQL Toolbelt and SSMSBoost, SQL Server 2012-2016
Junior Software Developer Candidates should ideally have some of these skills or have the ability to pick them up quickly
About the role
You`ll be working as part of a busy internal Software Development Team who support the organisation by producing SQL based reports and develop simple-to-use applications working stand-alone and with Microsoft Office products.
You will be expected to
- use your skills to develop fast, efficient and robust software solutions to use across the Association.
- Fully comment and document your code and produce user manuals as required
Debug code written by yourself and others
- Contribute to the team efforts of gathering requirements, specifying, designing and planning
- Work closely with internal clients at all levels, at all stages of the development cycle
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you or you want to have an informal chat, please contact Jack Daniels, Software Development Manager on 01442 292300 or email@example.com. We request no contact from agencies or media sales.
In return for your hard work and commitment, we offer a considerable benefits package which includes:
- Generous annual leave allowance of 25 days per year, plus statutory bank holidays, rising with service
- Annual bonuses based on satisfactory performance
- Regular reviews of salary and cost of living to ensure you receive above the market salary for the role
- An organisational commitment to employee health and wellbeing
- Life assurance of three times your annual salary and a workplace pension scheme.
- Ongoing training and support to deliver outstanding support
How to Apply
To apply for this position please click the link below.
Please also click below for a copy of the Software Developer job description.
To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer.