Case Officers in the Business and Income Team are responsible for the collection and recovery of the Council’s revenue income including council tax, business rates, rents and service charges.
You will be joining a fast-paced professional team responsible for the collection of Council Tax, Business Rates, overpayment of Housing Benefit, current and former tenant arrears and sundry debts. Responsibilities include updating and maintaining the Council Tax and NNDR Database in line with current legislation, providing advice and support to both commercial and domestic customers who are having difficulty in maintaining their accounts and negotiating and monitoring realistic repayment agreements.
As a Level 2 (TA1) Case Officer you will need a flexible and adaptable working style, a willingness to learn complex legislation and be proficient in the use of technology.
Key tasks for this post will include:
- Maintaining customer account details
- Administering the billing, collection and recovery of revenue income
- Setting up and monitoring direct debits including recalls
- Monitoring accounts in arrears
- Monitoring, negotiating and agreeing repayment arrangements
- Process applications for relief, discounts and exemptions
- Answering customer enquiries including in person, by telephone and in writing
- Liaison with external companies such as Enforcement Agents
The ideal applicant will:
- Have a good standard of education including literacy and numeracy skills
- Have excellent customer service and communication skills both in person and on the telephone
- Be a team player who can work in a flexible and supportive manner
- Have proven clerical experience, be highly organised and able to work on your own initiative
- Have excellent IT skills, proficient in using Microsoft Office
Full training will be provided so experience of working in a revenue collection environment or knowledge of income collection and recovery processes within a local authority environment is not essential but would be an advantage.