About the role
Changing the Lives of Homeless People
``Hello there, my name is Geoff. I became homeless about a year ago after losing my job, family and home, everything spiralled out of control. It was difficult for me; I had always been independent, making my own money, providing for my family... I never ever thought that this could happen to me. I didn`t know where to turn to get help. I heard about Open Door, went to the drop- in and that was the first step to getting my life back on track. I stayed in the night shelter and received 1 to 1 support and advice from the support staff I now feel confident about moving forward with my life."
If you think you could support Geoff to achieve a more settled life then you could be the right person for this role! Open Door are an established, well respected homeless night shelter in St Albans and were Housing Heroes finalist in 2019!
We currently have an opportunity for a full time (37.5 hours) Support Worker.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has experience of providing support to vulnerable people
- Provided advice, guidance and support to homeless individuals
- Positively engage with and sustain appropriate relationships with individuals who are often unwilling to engage with services
- Deliver practical housing related support through structured link work
- Work on own initiative and as a part of a team
- Act calmly and respond professionally in stressful and difficult situations
- Work predominately 2pm to 10pm shifts with 1 full weekend off in 3.
We welcome applications from people who have experienced homelessness. Open Door Homelessness Service works with people who are at risk of sleeping and living on the streets.
The service provides overnight accommodation for up to 12 individuals and a day-time drop in service for people in housing need.
In return for your hard work and commitment to our service users, we offer a considerable benefits package. This includes:
- Generous annual leave allowance of 25 days per year, plus statutory bank holidays, rising with service (pro rata for part time hours)
- Overtime and bonuses available on top of your basic salary
- Comprehensive training and development support from day one with the opportunity to gain a recognised vocational qualification
- Regular support from your line manager and colleagues
- Annual bonus based on satisfactory performance
- Monthly attendance bonus
- Annual salary and cost of living review
- Commitment to health and wellbeing with the Five Ways to Wellbeing
- Workplace pension scheme
- Life assurance of three times your annual salary
- Fully paid DBS
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Employee assistance helpline
- Mileage paid for car usage
- Structured rota so you know your work pattern in advance
Hightown is a charitable housing association operating principally in Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire. We believe everyone should have a home and the support they need, so our aim is to build new homes and to provide excellent housing and support.
We currently manage over 6,000 homes and employ over 1,000 full and part time staff from our head office in Hemel Hempstead. We have an annual turnover of £84 million and a development programme that will deliver around 400 new affordable homes each year.
How to Apply
Please see below for a copy of the Support Worker job description.
Closing date: Tuesday 22nd September 2020
Interview date: Monday 5th October 2020
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer.
To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.