We are looking for an experienced Outreach Worker with Mental Health experience to join Medway Council's Housing team on a 5 month fixed term contract to provide a supportive outreach response to rough sleepers.
Main purpose of job:
- Responsible for conducting outreach work across Medway to verify, engage and support rough sleepers.
- Experience in dealing with rough sleepers with multiple needs and able to work with challenging behaviour.
- Follow up individuals sleeping rough and liaise with partner agencies to deliver multi-agency reports and interventions, within Medway.
- Provide information and advice on support services available and provide assistance in exploring various housing options.
- Seek resettlement and move options for long term rough sleepers.
- Adapt working practices to work with vulnerable people both on the streets and within accommodation.
- Carry a cae load of clients, ensuring they are effectively supported and this is followed up with effective casework management including client centred support plans, risk assessments and needs assessments.
- Able to work flexibly which includes early mornings, evenings and weekends on a rota based system.
- Good level of general educatioin (GCSE Grade A* - C) including Maths and English.
- Knowledge of housing and homelessness legislation such as the Housing Act 1996; Homelessness Code of Guidance; Protection from Eviction Act 1977; and Homelessness Reduction Act 2017.
- Good working knowledge of outreach, accommodation projects and services that can help vulnerable people.
- Ability to converse at ease with people adapting communication style to suit various abilities.
- Experience of working with vulnerable people providing support.
- Experience of being able to motivate and engage with service users who are chronically and socially excluded from mainstream society and services.
- Experience of support planning, key working and reviewing risks.
- Experience of multi-agency and partnership working.
- Knowledge and experience of utilising a range of housing options to relieve and prevent homelessness.
- Full UK driving licence and use of own car is desirable.
Please see attached job spec for full person specification.