Horsham district is a vibrant place to live, work and visit. It is home to a number of historic towns and villages, surrounded by beautiful countryside, and is just an hour from London, and is also a short distance of the south coast.
This makes Horsham an exciting and challenging place plan for the future, with the need to maintain the rural and historic environment, whilst enabling businesses to grow and ensuring that all our residents to have an affordable place to live. This provides the basis for a number of exciting projects including our ongoing Local Plan review.
An opportunity has arisen in the Strategic Planning team to cover a period of maternity leave. As a Senior Planning Officer you will work in the Strategic Planning Team to help finalise our Local Plan Review documentation and provide advice and guidance on strategic planning issues both within the Council and to members of the public. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Preparing necessary policy documentation and updates to the evidence base
- Contribute to and take part in the forthcoming Local Plan Examination
- Providing policy advice to Development Management colleagues, Members and developers
- Work with adjoining authorities, parishes , developers and the wider community on a range of Planning policy issues
- Represent the Council at appeals, hearings, public enquiries on a range of policy matters.
To succeed as a Senior Planning Officer you must have competence in a variety of IT systems and packages, plus the ability to work as part of a team as well as on your own initiative. You must also have:
- A relevant degree or equivalent and a recognised planning qualification
- Eligibility for RTPI Membership
- Good numerical skills and attention to detail
- Good time management and organisation skills.
- High level communication and presentation skills particularly concerning complex or controversial issues.
Our work/life balance is family friendly. What’s more, our IT system makes work as easy in the home or in the field as at the office.