Plus Market Supplement £3,800 and 1 professional fee paid
Reading is an exciting and forward thinking unitary authority with a busy and friendly Building Control Service. The Building Control Service deals with all aspects of the Building Regulations, including the examination of full plans/Building Notice applications, site inspections, dangerous structures, unauthorised and regularisation applications and enforcement duties as and when required. We deal with a wide range of interesting development proposals throughout the town including commercial and educational projects.
About the role
- To work as part of a team to provide a prompt and efficient building control service
- Checking of all building regulations applications for an area of the Borough and for special projects.
- To deal with dangerous structures during normal office hours when required.
- To be available out of office hours when required to assist senior officers.
- Checking that fees submitted with building regulations applications are correct and inspection fees are raised.
- Carry out site visits and the preparation of correspondence in connection with means of escape in case of fire from premises, which fall within the Building Control Section’s responsibility.
- Recommending for approval/rejection building regulation applications delegated to them by the Principal Building Control Surveyor within a relevant period. Taking into account that a failure to do so will result in the deposit fee being returned automatically.
- We require an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, who can demonstrate a capacity and enthusiasm for hard work.
- You will be required to liaise with members of the public or their agents, so will need to be comfortable working away from the office and confident when dealing with customers.
- You will be working in a flexible office environment, with the chance to work from home, so will need to have good organisational and administrative skills and an ability to use computers for recording and retrieving information.
- BTEC HNC Building Studies.
- Tech Member of RICS or equivalent.
- Full Driving License
- Previous building control experience.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
Closing Date: 30th November 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact Mr James Crosbie either email James.email@example.com or Reza.Saneie@reading.gov.uk.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.