Brighter Futures for Children
Part time - 18.5 hours per week
‘..we found a competent and committed workforce who knew their children and young people well.’ (HMIP Short Quality Screening, June 2016)
Brighter Futures for Children is improving outcomes for Reading's children, young people and families.
We are an independent, not-for-profit-company, wholly owned by Reading Borough Council. Our responsibility is to deliver quality children's services, early help, education and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) services in the borough.
- We protect and enhance the lives of the children of Reading.
- We help families find long-term solutions to ensure children lead happy, healthy, and successful lives.
- We embrace new and proven ways of working, including; Trauma Informed practice, Restorative approaches, Strong partnership working, Quick and appropriate decision-making.
Reading Youth Offending Service (YOS) currently has a vacancy for a Part time Qualified Probation Officer who will be able to engage and support victims of crime and to engage well with young people about the crimes they have committed. The YOS is located within Brighter Futures for Children and also has strong links with partner services working with young people.
You will need to have significant experience of engaging well with the public who have been disadvantaged and with those who have been involved in or are at risk of offending. You will need assessment and organizational skills and flexibility in managing a varied caseload and will also need to be prepared to work some evenings/weekends on an occasional basis.
- To manage a caseload of young people, delivering young person focussed interventions.
- To ensure appropriate assessments are undertaken with young people and preparing prepare relevant reports.
- To act as a Court Officer and attend as a representative of the Youth Offending Team.
- To work collaboratively, referring to others in the YOS, and liaising with other services
- To lead transition work for cases transferring to Adult Probation Services
- Professional Qualification in Probation Essential knowledge, skills and experience
- Significant experience of working with young people
- Experience of carrying out assessments of need and risk of young people
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and initiatives in relation to working with children and young people
Contact details for an informal discussion:
Giles Allchurch, Natalie Clarke or Sarah Dobinson on 0118 9372420
What we offer:
- We offer a supportive framework to develop your career
- You’ll work in a friendly and collaborative environment where we are committed to delivering positive outcomes.
- We have a strong training and developmental pathway
- All team managers are permanent staff and our Consultant Practitioners will coach, mentor and support you.
- Competitive salary
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Discounted childcare
- On-site outstanding nursery
- Free parking
- Pool cars
We offer a range of extras
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loans
- Local discounts
- Health and wellbeing programme
- Staff Club and social events.
We suggest that the majority of the information can be entered in the application form.
Closing date: 13th December 2020
Interview date: 21st and 22nd December 2020