Do you have a passion for maritime operations? Could you help provide an efficient maritime service to uphold regulations and ensure that Falkland Islands maritime safety and security is maintained? Do you hold an Officer of the Watch (Deck) STCW REG II/1 (Unlimited) Certificate of Competency and/or relevant degree with 5 years’ relevant post qualification experience? Do you like the idea of working in one of the most beautiful places in the world with amazing landscapes, friendly communities and incredible wildlife? If you have answered yes to these questions, then you could be one of the new Maritime Officers the Falkland Islands is looking for.
With direction from the Deputy Harbour Master this role includes undertaking harbour/port operations, including patrols of main harbours, to enforce maritime legislation, harbour and pollution law, and to deal with any transgressions or incidents, including pollution clean-up to ensure effective response to safety at sea and for pollution prevention.
The role also includes monitoring compliance with relevant maritime laws, investigating cases and preparing prosecution cases as required to uphold the law for the Falkland Islands Government. As an appropriately trained and qualified CAT 2 Inspector, you will carry out inspections of foreign flagged merchant and fishing vessels in accordance with the approved inspection standards and Authority policy. You will monitor and regulative traffic, inspect and maintain navigational aids and enforce the Port Facility Security Plan.
- Holds an Officer of the Watch (Deck) STCW REG II/1 (Unlimited) Certificate of Competency and/or relevant degree with 5 years’ post qualification experience.
- A current valid driver’s licence.
- Understands safe management of vessel operations, marine meteorology, emergency response, port control operations, pilotage and relevant health and safety and security legislation such as the PMSC and ISPS Codes.
- Able to integrate and work with team members across Government directorates.
N.B. Applicants without the qualifications listed above may be considered if they satisfy other requirements to a high level or have had previous experience within fishery protection or law enforcement or other relevant experience appropriate to the post.
- Fixed Term Contract up to 4 years
- Salary Range, basic starting salary £31,577k to £41,776k, commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract.
- Government Housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- Favourable income tax rates.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on 'Apply Now' and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
Applications close 11 December 2020 at 2030 GMT.