Plus professional fee paid & market supplement of £7400 per annum
Reading is an exciting and forward thinking unitary authority with a busy and friendly Building Control Service. The Building Control Service deals with all aspects of the Building Regulations, including the examination of full plans/Building Notice applications, site inspections, dangerous structures, unauthorised and regularisation applications and enforcement duties as and when required. We deal with a wide range of interesting development proposals throughout the town including commercial and educational projects.
About the role
This is a specific role to manage and lead a Building Control Service, consisting of Building Control professionals and Technical Support Officers who are required to ensure effective delivery of the Building Control Service to internal and external clients and partners with a strong emphasis on fostering growth, development and opportunities.
We are looking for:
- Previous experience of managing a leading a local authority building control service of 5 years or more successful local- essential
- Full membership of RICS Building Surveying or equivalent
- A professional, enthusiastic and experienced individual to manage and lead a strong and dynamically high performing team providing a full range of Building Control functions and services for the Council.
- A self-motivated professional with the relevant level of management, Building Control and fire safety 5+ years’ experience.
- Recognised degree or professional qualification in either town planning or building control or equivalent.
- Understanding of local government and local issues as they affect Reading and the Thames Valley Region.
- Experience of successful management of budgets and service targets for agreed timescales.
- Experience of successful management of complex projects and planning responsive services.
- Current full driving license.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact us via email James.email@example.com or Reza.Saneie@reading.gov.uk
Closing Date: 30th November 2020
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.