Deputy Registrar & Administrative Assistant
Fixed Term – 12months
Full time 37 hour
RG4 (scp 11-22) gateway at scp 17
£21,748 - £27,041
We are looking for a customer orientated individual to join our team to be responsible for the proper registration of births, deaths and marriages as well as conduct weddings, civil partnerships and other ceremonies. The role is based at the Civic Offices with regular travel to other approved locations as required.
About the role
The role is varied and includes a range of administrative duties, dealing in a friendly and professional manner with customers, in person and over the telephone. Post holders will be required to:
- Carry out the Superintendent Registrar duties in taking notice of marriages and civil partnerships as well as conducting ceremonies.
- Be responsible for and maintain a marriage register and its associated certified stock
- Deputise for the Registrars of Births and Deaths in the registration of births, deaths and still-births
- Undertake all clerical duties, such as replacement certificate production and corrections as required and provide excellent customer service to all Register Office clients
- Take ownership for financial transactions and account for the collection of fees, cash handling, debit and credit processes and banking arrangements in line with corporate and audit procedures
- To keep informed of all changes in the Registration Acts & Regulations
- To participate in the process of other services such as naming ceremonies, renewal of vows and citizenship.
- Representing and supporting the overall aims of the department
You will be experienced in dealing with the public both face-to-face and over the telephone as well as dealing with a variety of stakeholder organisations, demonstrating a confident, polite and professional manner. Previous experience of registration would be an advantage.
Due to the important nature of the role, attention to detail and high level of accuracy are essential requirements. In addition, good listening and communication skills that demonstrate an ability to deal effectively and compassionately with people form diverse backgrounds are also a key requirement.
In addition, we would expect-
- A good team player, who can demonstrate a high level of personal accountability, together with a flexible and positive approach.
- Strong IT and organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work in a busy office environment.
- A good general standard of education, preferably at level 3 or equivalent.
- Smart appearance, appropriate for meeting with the public and attendance at all ceremonies
- You will have a driving licence is essential, you must have your own transport and motor insurance must include business use.
- You will be happy to work some weekend work, including attendance at marriages / civil partnerships at other approved premises. This is rota based.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 17th Jan
Interview Date: w/c 18th Jan
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.