Fixed Term until 31/03/2022, based in Kingston
Grade J - £44,790 - £49,827
At Kingston, we are passionate about our Royal Borough and want to be known as a Council that is an exemplar for citizen engagement. This is a new era for the Council, with a new Liberal Democrat administration in place, and we are redefining the relationships we have with our residents, community groups, businesses, voluntary sector, central government and other partners.
About the role
A rare opportunity to directly support local businesses and boost local economic recovery - with the support and resources needed to have impact.
Kingston upon Thames is a special place to live, work and do business, with an enviable environment, well-connected riverside location and inviting towns and neighbourhoods. Despite this, like everywhere else, parts of its economy are under stress from the ongoing national and global challenges.
In response, Kingston Council is rolling out a £5m government-funded programme of activity to support business, high streets and the business community. This role will play a key part in defining, planning and delivering a range of high profile outward-facing business development and support initiatives. This will include schemes to support business recovery innovation and adaptation, business-led town centre support, business skills, and targeted grant schemes - coordinating this activity with other council teams, partners, stakeholders and suppliers.
You’ll sit within a dynamic, multidisciplinary team of regeneration and economic development professionals, providing the connections with internal services and external partners you’ll need to help give you a flying start.
If you have the experience and motivation to drive this forward and make an impact for our business community at this crucial time, we’d love to hear from you.
We’re looking for someone that:
- Understands local economic development and the business environment.
- Is enthused about supporting businesses and communities through their challenges.
- Is an excellent collaborator and communicator.
- Is organised and focussed on delivery, while maintaining relationships Is political aware and experience in our local government context.
- Is happy to work remotely and use a range of digital tools for this.
Benefits we offer
Kingston Council has good access to central London and our offices are a short walk from the station based in the middle of the historic and vibrant high street next to the open spaces of the river Thames, offering a wide range of shops, restaurants and leisure facilities; all making for a desirable place to live and work. Although largely remote working at this time, there may be opportunities to collaborate in person as the circumstances change.
The successful candidate will have access to a wide range of staff benefits, some of which include:
- 29 days annual leave - In addition you will receive 8 statutory bank holidays
- Local government pension scheme
- Interest free season loan ticket
- Cycle to work and Zip Car Scheme
- Discounts on a range of local shops, restaurants, gyms and leisure centres
- Comprehensive Learning and Development programme
- A forward thinking and networked organisation where employee’s views are valued
- Modern and flexible working environment allowing employees to benefit from agile working
We also offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, staff engagement forums, and inclusive staff networks who help drive our diversity agenda.
If you would like to find out more about this exciting opportunity, please contact Sean Gillen, Economic Development Manager, on firstname.lastname@example.org to request an informal discussion.
Royal Borough of Kingston is now an accredited London Living Wage Employer
Our Living Wage commitment means that everyone working at the Royal Borough of Kingston, regardless of whether they are permanent employees or third-party contractors and suppliers receive the London Living Wage. The real Living Wage is higher than the government’s minimum, or National Living Wage, and is an independently calculated hourly rate of pay that is based on the actual cost of living.